The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well let's start with the backflip.

I was off to a mark and after negotiating all the tricky bits I made a silly error and step on some green stuff, what is sued was me doing a backflip down a rock. I landed on my head bashed my knees into the ground. Fortunately I had a back pack on which broke the fall. Oh and the tackle box, but a small price to pay for an crush zone. Apart from a few cuts on both knees and hands and a tiny egg on the head I am OK. I added a few scrapes to my reel,rod and backpack but aside from the tackle box no other damage that I know of.

What followed was the best session I have ever had. All caught on emeraude xlayers. Why change it if it ain't broke.
Here are a few highlights and observations
1)A decent wrasse of 1lb 7oz a nice start, pulled out of a big whole below my feet, just jiggly the lure. Caught with the stingy tail. A size 8 tied to the jig head then hooked in around the rattle line all external but does not seem to matter. Stingy tails accounted for just under half the wrasse taken.
2)A smaller wrasse but this took a little skill as he took me into the rocks, so waited for him to swim out and gotcha.
3)Number three caught basically dead stick, lift straight into this one again 1lb 7
4)Saw him and just held off moving the lure BANG. I love seeing them before they take
5)A very very greedy Pollack after a small change of location. See below.
6)Found another fantastic spot which started with a couple of small wrasse.
7)BANG it's a big'un and then snap no more lure.
8)A few cast later and one took while I was fiddling with my drag not even paying attention. I worked out casting technique which I think helped me get the lure where I wanted it. First send the lure high, while in the air whip the rod to get some line off. When the lure lands it just goes straight down leave for a few moments the lift and bang! Probably nothing new but it definitely worked for me. I got a bit lost with the next few.
9) BANG it's a big'un a tatical battle ensued letting out a little line on the drag waiting and it's Landed 1lb 15oz my best yet and boy was that fun. See below
10)Another few were caught mostly with very small movements of the lure.

Well what can I say it was absolutely superb.

The first wrasse as he was pretty

The greedy Pollack

The Big Wrasse

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report and session there Jeremy, the way I am fishing at the moment I could do with some luck but don't fancy hurting myself to get it:-D

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad you are ok Jeremy, nice report mate keep em coming. I need to suss out dead sticking from the boat, its a nightmare with any tide or wind.
I had a wrasse from a yak on Monday. Was just borrowing one. I was right in tight to some rocks but in pretty deep water. Just dropped the lure pretty much straight done, gave it a few jiggles and landed a micro wrasse but superb colours.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
You are a funny man Steve...

LOL

Great fishing m8.
Nice report. Dead sticking from the skish requires extra effort too **** but....

Paul B assures me, that with extreme skill, it can be done.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You are a funny man Steve...

LOL

Great fishing m8.
Nice report. Dead sticking from the skish requires extra effort too **** but....

Keith I did notice that actually having line trension was purely optional. Had a few hook ups when there was a good amount of slack then just lifted into a fish. That could work for skishing ??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Keith I did notice that actually having line trension was purely optional. Had a few hook ups when there was a good amount of slack then just lifted into a fish. That could work for skishing ??
Some slack is acceptable for Wrasse but I wouldn't recommend it.
You'll miss alot of Bass and get sloppy too.

Controlled slack IS useful in ground swell.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Ha Ha. If it took extreme skill then I'd only be guessing. It 's not easy, but decent braid and a sensitive rod are a must. Tried it again yesterday but there was a boat anchored over the boulders I wanted to fish. I doubt he even knew they were there as he had rods on board but was eating a sarnie.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Ha Ha. If it took extreme skill then I'd only be guessing. It 's not easy, but decent braid and a sensitive rod are a must. Tried it again yesterday but there was a boat anchored over the boulders I wanted to fish. I doubt he even knew they were there as he had rods on board but was eating a sarnie.
Was that boat....

The Black Pig ?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Back on thread :

Unlucky on the fall but good result on the wrasse - maybe invest in some grip boots , I got some last year and a lot more confident on rocks wearing them.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts