12 Strand! | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

12 Strand!

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Salmon

So Daiwa now do a 12 strand braid. Has anyone used it yet? How is it?

2. Guest

My mate has. Fabulous but not worth the money imo. Smooth so no "line noise" when reeling in but not as supplement as say YKG WX8 and therefore not pronte to windknots. It's a bit of the best of both worlds.

3. Salmon

Nobody else? Less money than what people were paying for YGK when it first hit the shelves...

4. Striper

I have some Mark but haven't used it yet :confused:

5. Striper

I've literally just started using it - 3 hours fishing only. Still not sure how well it knots down - I was struggling to keep the half hitches locked down in use.

It's as smooth as you think. No issues so far with wind knots. The claims in sensitivity and abrasion are hard to judge.

Loved, and still the YGK x8, its on all my other bass reels, the Daiwa more than 12 feels better so far it it need more hours (& a cheaper price).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bass

Sounds like a tackle dealers dream to me Mark....I personally think it's getting a bit out of control...

7. Guest

As far as price: ridiculous imo. €160,- for a 300 meter spool is not worth it when looking at price /quality.

Recently bought a spool of ryukin momoi. €30 for a 100 meter spool. Felt a litte guilty when i bought it. Quality and feel are the same as YKG WX 8. Yet to find out wether it will stand the test of time. Casts as nothing i ever owend and no line noise when reeling in.

8. Pollock

Just did a quick fleabay search for 12 strand. Diawa stuffs on there for £90 for 300m. Seriously!?! That is some big money for your line. Maybe Diawa are hoping Bill Gates is going to take up lure fishing.......

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Pollock

Yep, fcuk that!:)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Guest

"getting" out of control?

People know more about the comparative merits of 15 types of braid than they do about the location and movement of bass in their local area....

Whatever "it" is (common sense?), "it" went the way of the Dodo many moons ago!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Salmon

Thanks, constructive chaps.

12. Pollock

Sorry Mark.:(

13. Guest

Hey, I was generalising on the rise of technical wizardry Mark, nothing personal. I do more tackle tarting than angling nowadays. Did I mean "nowadays"?

Guess what, I just ordered 3 spools...

14. Snapper

I'm waiting for the 24 strand to come out next year.

Just kidding Mark. Not having a pop at you.

15. Pollock

Sorry Mark. I was genuinely interested until I saw the price tag, if it gets cheaper in time I may give it a go, I'm sure its great stuff to use.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

16. Chub

i have not tried it, when in fosters a few weeks ago i was shown it by there sale staff, i have to admit it felt good, silky smooth and very thin i did contemplate buying some, but ultimately it came down too justifying the £45.00 for a 150m spool for a basically untested braid, where YGK braids have been tested and done too death you not what your getting, also i like the fine diameter but i currently use a braid from a company in Poland which has the same diameter made in japan by toray for dragon and it acts perfectly on the spool casting distances are very favorable and last week when snagged on a underwater branch actually pulled the jig head straight so i would say very strong but the price is only £17.99 for 135m for 8 strand braid will i try the 12 strand probably its just hard too move away from a tested product, as for the claims etc made by daiwa, i think that has a lot to do with anglers perception and too a certain extant are own faults after all we are the ones that ask for better products and ask for the top quality products and these companies oblige are demands, are they better i guess time will tell.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Bass

Thing is Mark...this very debate proves my point. No sooner is the latest super duper "sea bass lure fishing" widget is advertised keen people like us are considering ditching their perfectly good expensive "sea bass lure fishing" widget and dashing to the tackle shop to part with a serious wad of cash...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Wrasse

We're men, we all like our toys. Where would this world be now if we where content with what we had?
    Personally I'm gonna get a couple of spools this week, give it a thrashing and maybe will have some sort of opinion on it this time next week.
    Love daiwa rods, despise daiwa reels and despise there braid. But it's a new toy so I'll happily be a Guinea pig.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 4
  19. Striper

If we didn't try 8 strand we'd all still be on 4 strand. If we didn't try 4 strand we'd still all by using nylon. Technology progresses it doesn't stand still and it often opens up new opportunities to fish ways we could not have done beforehand.

In terms of 12 strand it is claimed to be stronger which means we can either keep the line strength we want and use a thinner line to cast further / cut through tide / current or cross wind easier. Or, if we're happy with the line diameter we can get a stronger line.

I wanted to try the 12 to achieve the latter where I risk taking a big fish in a strong tidal flow. This well known mark is barely fish able using nylon lines and braid and the new better finer braids not only allow better contact with the fish but also provide a stronger line reducing the possibly of a line snapping leaving a lure in a fishes' mouth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Salmon

Will be interesting to hear how it gets on. I'll be holding off for now, and wait for some reports on it. It looks like it's cheaper buying from the Uk than it is Japan, which is an unexpected twist!