12 Strand! | Page 2 | Lure Anglers Forum - Lure Fishing Forum UK (Bass, wrasse..)
Forum Supporting Contributions Upgrade Here

12 Strand!

Discussion in 'Lines' started by {name}, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Striper

A couple of more sessions on the 12 strand now and I have to say I like it. I'm using the PE1 22lb version. It knots okay, feels silky smooth and showing now sign of wear. It comes off the reel silently and I've not had any wind knots. Overall, quite impressed.

2. Bass

I don't disagree Jon, but I really do still use mono for some lure fishing (primary for surface lures and for free lined live bait ... Ok yes heresy on here but jolly deadly) as frankly it outperforms any braid for those tasks. For soft lures and deep water jigs braid is absolute King of the Lines no question....but in the boat the 4 or 8 thingy doesn't makeany difference for me and I use power pro and Suffix 832 both of which are super reliable and do the job equally well.

• Creative Creative x 1
  3. Pollock

Hows this braid doing you guys who bought it?
    How about the stronger more abrasion resistant claims?
    Anyone been rubbed up the rocks?:eek:

4. Striper

Not been near any rocks but still loving it!

5. Pollock

Cheers john. We only live once hey:horsesword:

6. Wrasse

Haven't used the twelve strand stuff but even so I would take the "abrasion resistant" claims with a pinch of salt. Under laboratory conditions they may well be more abrasion resistant. However, in contact with a sharp rock and an angry bass on the end I would imagine the result to be the same as eight strand, mono, fluoro or whatever...a break!

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

7. Salmon

I think though Peter, the point would be that if it was more abrasion resistant than 8 strand for example, it would be an improvement. As we know, 8 strand has the abrasion resistance of warm butter, so any improvement on that has got to be a good thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wrasse

Agree, Mark. I still think that the more abrasion resistant claims are relative and would be negligible under actual fishing conditions. Would love to be proven wrong. After fifty plus years of many angling disciplines, I have learnt to take fishing tackle manufacturers claims with more than a pinch of salt. Fluorocarbon... invisible underwater and to fish. Yeah, right.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

9. Pollock

Yes lets hope what you think the line might be like is wrong peter , and 12 strand is an improvement on what's gone before.
    If its only a fraction of the claimed abrasion resistant spec over the 8, it should be.

10. Guest

I think something is to be found in the lifespan as well. If it lasts longer (abrasion through guides) i'm sure it will be worth the money.

11. Pollock

Im sure itll be great but If daiwa want it to compete in the braid market it wants to get cheaper PDQ.

12. Pollock Supporting Member

Braid over snags is definitely worse than Mono. I've wondered whether the stretch in mono helps it go over a snag with less damage. Then some monos seem better in use than others as well. A mate has a frayed section of 40lb Big Game that he still landed a 70lb plus Mahseer on. Cant see similar diameter braid of any strand number standing up to that kind of stick....