The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, for the last couple of years we’ve continued plugging through the winters; fish have been few and far between and hard work from the time that the water temps dropped below the golden 9deg……one memorable bass was taken on New Years Day on the mighty zonk – not a big fish, but still a wonderful sight on that cold day :-D

This year we have made the commitment again to pursue our target species through the winter times, majority of times the water will be very coloured no doubt, but knowledge has shown us that bass are present (well, the smaller family members as the parents and their teens have gone off to spawn) and we will struggle on. We’ll blank often; but always learn something new about our marks. The water temps are getting really close to 9deg at the moment :???::shock::???:

However, today was the usual Sunday jaunt – ‘we’ll keep it local’ I thought as there was no swell and just a ****ty Easterly puffing away! I arrived before Pops and was at the waters edge before he joined the session…..just after a ‘check-in’ call from Hounddog (Steve, the water was clear on the ebb but a little murky on the push).
Conditions looked great :shock::wackit:

We cracked on and arrived at one of Pops favourite marks – nothing showed but we both soon remembered how hard the grounds around here are underfoot! Onwards to another favourite spot, this time one of Corny’s…….only thing showing here was an old ships boiler and a blwty great big seal…….’if he’s here – there’s bass here’ Pops stated.
Next cast and FISH ON – now Pops fishes with a rather small baitcaster rod and I galloped over the rocks to see it bent double……….’bloody hell’ he was into a good one this time……..after some tooing and froing and lots of head shaking, she was getting close, bloody big head on her too…..into the water I go (thank god for drysuits!!) and wait for the moment……….reaching with the boga………PING, leader snapped…….quick, grab the bass I thought as she was right at my knees…..I managed to touch her with both hands but couldn’t get them around her quick enough, one kick of her tail and back into the depths she slid. GUTTED to say the least as she looked a good 6lb+ :x The end of the leader showed some frays:evil:
After a little rethink and regrouping, we moved on……..but the dark clouds had moved in :|

We made our way back to one of our useful marks as the tide was now right we hoped. We discussed the effectiveness of new xlayers over used ones and both changed to new!
First cast and the cry FISH ON again :mrgreen:……….after a hefty struggle, a quick weighing and measuring and photo and away she swam, this one came in at around 5.5lb on the boga and 60cm on the rule
101212 60cm rule 1024x768.jpg

101212 60cm Gower2 1024x768.jpg

Next cast and FISH ON once again……..another terrific bass showing 4.5lb on the boga and 56cm. What a day this was turning out to be!!
101212 56cm rule 1024x768.jpg 101212 56cm Gower 1024x768.jpg

:spoo:
Who needs pike huh?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Superb work Si & Jeff :clap: :clap:. I would have loved to make it back down there today. Bit of mileage left in the season yet :D.

(unlucky on the lost fish :sad:)

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great session Si.....Good to see pop at it again.......:-D:-D

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
wow what a session well done boys brill !

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Great stuff Simon, lovely couple of Bass.

·
Registered
92 Posts
hi simon -nice report I was too tired when I got home and gutted when I lost the fish to think of posting but the other two beauties caught have know brightened me up-cant wait to get back down there cheers-happy day even without pasties-pops

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hi simon -nice report I was too tired when I got home and gutted when I lost the fish to think of posting but the other two beauties caught have know brightened me up-cant wait to get back down there cheers-happy day even without pasties-pops
You back down there with Steve tomorrow huh ;)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Cracking fishing again !! Great spots....I'll be visiting both in the morning !! :) I really need to order some x-layers though....still haven't done it :(

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Superb stuff well done guys!
Shame about the one that got away!
Great report.
Cheers Nath

·
Registered
779 Posts
I cant even get em in the summer there!!

Very well done chaps !

1 - 20 of 21 Posts