The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After the previous day's multiple successes, I'd invited John and Jethro up to fish the same area. Weather and water forecasts were almost identical to yesterday so I/we had high hopes. As I mentioned in the previous report though, today was the day after the new moon and it's always been a hard day to fish in this area. If anybody has an explanation for that then I'd be more than happy to hear it! I just hoped that the previous pattern would prove itself wrong for today. Unfortunately, it held true and we caught no bass....?! Very weird. Read on.

We'd all arrived in the carpark by 4.15am (have I mentioned enough times before how much I hate early mornings?!), and already the day was showing signs of being a really beautiful one. A lack of cloud, wind and less swell than yesterday definitely made for some pretty conditions. Getting up at dawn you'd always like to think that something will be willing to have a snap at a lure.

I expected the best fishing to be between about 5.30 and 7.30 as water filled and left the high tide gullies. Moon rise was at a perfect looking 5.45 as well! High tide itself - 6.30am.

With the swell having halved in size since yesterday, by the time we'd walked out around the coast path there were a few less options than yesterday. Still, one or two areas looked like they much be holding a few feeding fish!

john.jpg

Well, we fished for about an hour and a call came from John on our right who'd hooked and almost landed a pollack of about a pound(?). My photo came out rubbish unfortunately but half an hour later after a short move along the rocks, he'd just changed to a slightly deeper diving lure and had another! Good to see some fish, even if they weren't what we were originally after.

john_pollack2.jpg john_sun.jpg

I know we were in the right places and doing the right things, but the day was feeling less and less like a 'bass' day as it went on. I felt a bit sorry for John especially that it wasn't going quite like it could have - after his 45 minute drive to make it down for dawn. Despite the reduced swell, some areas stil looked very fishy, but just weren't producing. Here's Jethro fishing one nice gully. Sun had risen properly by now...

jethro.jpg

I had an LRF rod in the car that probably would have been quite useful by the end of the morning. There seemed little we could to to tempt a bass. That's fishing eh?!

As a bonus, for probably almost half an hour we were witnesses to some of the most hectic bird activity I've ever seen whilst fishing, not to mention the penguins that Jethro saw. I must admit, my eyesight wasn't good enough to see the jumping penguins, but I did see plenty of porpoises :wink: . This probably explained where all our bass were. A couple of hundred metres offshore there almost appeared to be patches of darker water (we looked down from the top of the cliffs) where birds constantly dived and porpoises passed. I've never seen anything like it 2 years of almost constant fishing in this area!

By about 8 o'clock we were ready to head home for some breakfast. It was a lovely morning to be out though.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Cracking report Ben. I found the Bass exceedingly scarce this weekend. Strange, as conditions were excellent. Anyway, with conditions like those, and good company . . . . who cares, eh ?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Ben and some stunning pics, well done :-D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ben you beat me to the report. Your right getting up at 3am is pretty hard, but well worth it. :-D
I had a great sesh with you and jethro even though the fishing was tough, not sure about the moon? but the 13th may have had somthing to do with it. The feeding freny great to watch, just wish there were a few more around for us.
Later on about 5pm I went to a local beach near me with the kids I managed to grab a few chucks off the rocks as the tide pust in, end result a small schoolie to about 1lb.

Thanks for yesterday I had a blast, you certainly know your fishing and always willing to share info and advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers John. Wel done getting the little one in the end. See you over the next couple of weeks no doubt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts