The Lure Forums banner

15th May South Cornwall

592 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Tim Murphy 
#1 ·
More a reminder to myself for when I start filling in a diary more than anything, but this was the day that Iestyn, Nathan, Robert and myself had a bash on the south coast. Meeting at 7.30am, I'd had a long fog covered drive to get there. On arrival Iestyn was already waiting, while Nath was traditionally half an hour behind ;-)

The water was looking a tad calm for my liking and also crystal clear so we were always going to be in for a bit of a struggle.

Robert and I started off in one direction while Nath and Iestyn headed the other. We were about an hour after high tide at this point so it was nice having a bit of water to chuck in to. I wouldn't have been feeling at all confident if it'd been any shallower. I'd taken my lighter outfit down so that I could mostly mess around with soft baits and only smaller hard lures. I don't think I took one lure over 12cm with me.

It was a beautiful morning, but fish activity was low. Robert did have a small group of bass swim slowly past in front of him, but that was pretty much all we saw, other than plenty of tiny, tiny sandeels. There seem to be a lot of these very small fish around on the South and up here on the North at the moment.

After a couple of hours just before we were about to head back towards Nath and Iestyn, I did have one nice take on a soft bait on the drop. The rod lurched forward quite violently before dropping slack again. Lovely take, but I think the weedless hook struggled to hook up. Shame.

On finding the other two, Nath had lost a nice one at his feet. For a while we fished in close proximity and I was blessed enough to hook a pretty pollack of about a pound. At least people were there to witness this one - I'm so often fishing by myself that I'd not be surprised if nobody believed I've ever caught a fish!

We struggled on for a short while in the calm water before the others decided to call it a day. It still felt early to be though and with a pile of small baits in my pockets, I stil had a little confidence that if I could find a fish and drop a bit in front of it then it may well have a go. As it turned out, I didn't actually fish much, but mostly spent the next hour or so just exploring the low water line. It became increasingly difficult to fish as the water drained away, although I did get to eye up a lot of the kelp beds below the low tide line. Seeing the ground we were fishing over in full detail, I'm not at all surprised I caught the pollack where I did.

Anyway, another sunny day in cornwall today and there's a nice bit of swell running up here on the north coast. If time allows I'll pop out later and try to sneak one out.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like a good day out, Ben - and you'll know more about that mark for next time. The bass up our way seem shy still (although encouragingly we are seeing plenty), and soft baits and smaller plugs are the only ones we are getting interest in, so you are not alone.

#3 ·
After a couple of hours just before we were about to head back towards Nath and Iestyn, I did have one nice take on a soft bait on the drop. The rod lurched forward quite violently before dropping slack again. Lovely take, but I think the weedless hook struggled to hook up. Shame.
Interesting and a case for cutting relief slots into weedless lure destined for OTD.
I also use owner cutting point or re-sharpen chemically sharpened hooks with a tri point.
They cut through plastic without dragging way better.

#5 ·
Hard luck on the no fish Ben, it's been tough up here.
Interesting and a case for cutting relief slots into weedless lure destined for OTD.
I also use owner cutting point or re-sharpen chemically sharpened hooks with a tri point.
They cut through plastic without dragging way better.
What do you mean Keith? Relief slots and tri point?

#6 ·
Tri point as in if you were looking at the point close up, it'd look like a pyramid. It gives better penetration through the lure into the fish. In the same way sometimes in Tarpon fishing etc, as the fish have such hard mouths, they file a 'cutting edge' on the point. As for relief slots, I think that is where on some lures you can rig weedless, like the Fin-s fish for example, the texas hook point will sit in a pre made recess, to maintain the weedless factor, but not smothering the point to make contact to the fishes mouth on a take more direct. You can do similar on SP's that dont have the built in recess, just using a craft knife or something. I may be wrong of course.

#8 ·
Yep, sounds right Mark. It was actually on a Sebile Magic Swimmer Soft, with the recess. I think they could do with a slightly bigger hook tbh.

#9 ·
Tri point as in if you were looking at the point close up, it'd look like a pyramid. It gives better penetration through the lure into the fish. In the same way sometimes in Tarpon fishing etc, as the fish have such hard mouths, they file a 'cutting edge' on the point. As for relief slots, I think that is where on some lures you can rig weedless, like the Fin-s fish for example, the texas hook point will sit in a pre made recess, to maintain the weedless factor, but not smothering the point to make contact to the fishes mouth on a take more direct. You can do similar on SP's that dont have the built in recess, just using a craft knife or something. I may be wrong of course.
Cheers Mark, I've seen that kind of hook sharpening on tackletour a while ago, not sure they called it tri point though. Cheers for the heads up on the relief slot, I've a whole rake of SPs with a 'hook slot' in their backs! names eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.