The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
17th May North Cornwall: N Taylor

caught a 5lb 2, 4lb 8 and a 2lb.5, wife is jumping that I went fishing when I should of been working...doh

North West Wind,
Low Tide 1.20pm

I thought i would try the north coast for a change and got it right!

The conditions looked perfect as i got closer to the waters edge and it wasn't long before i was getting really excited, due to the fact, about 12 meters in front of me there was a shoal of about 6 or 7 bass the biggest around about the 6 or 7lb mark easily!! and they were just cruising up and down.

I tried everything i had in my box to tempt them and believe me they were not interested it would seem, and before you ask they were not Mullet. Well they left the area and i decided to keep walking and plugging exploring the coast line looking for signs of bass, which i would see the occasional sign of a silver flash, but still nothing.

Now, being the start of my season i am going to be rusty, and wouldnt be in tune with my fishing, like i would be in a couple weeks time with fishing almost every day ( wish full thinking) and with me being a finatical topwater fisherman, it would take me time to get my act together.

So i thought instead of taking the easy option early in the season and just stick on a sub surface lure which clearly wasn't working, I decided to stay on the surface and play with different retrieves.
well to cut along story short i worked my way back to where i started and saw those bass earlier, so i sat down and had a drink and a bite to eat, just to REALLY start thinking about the way i was fishing this spot, as i knew the bass were here, but what ever i was doing the bass just didn't like it!

So with that i decided to cast out my Z Claw in Mackerel and just leave it there looking at it and the way the swell was affacting the lure in the water, and i kept that lure in the water for about 10 minutes, thats how long it took me to bring that lure in, whilst working it. Twitch and leave Twitch and leave all the way in!

I did that for a second cast and got all the way in then BANG, drag started SINGING and i knew then i found what the bass wanted, they were shy biting and by me leaving that lure in the water which seemed like forever got their confidence up and with that they couldn't resist the Z Claw.

I did that time after time and had a few really big hits and no hook ups and i also lost a few, so then i thought hang on lets try the same thing with a suspending OSP Rudra, Twitch and leave all the way in and Bang, fish on! Believe me when i say i have no patience and i found it so hard to leave the plug in the water for that long, but if i wanted to catch , i had to change my way of fishing and it worked, but full credit has to go to Kieth White of Jersey Bass Guides as he has changed me, in the way i think and my approach to lure fishing.

I have had enough fun for one afternoon and called it a day, but you can never stop learning, no matter how good you think you are!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Looking forward to it Nathan, hurry up !!!!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My wife would be delighted if I caught three fish like that in a session! Looking forwards to the report. Work - overrated in my view.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one Nath.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
NORTH???????????????

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes north, but south of Godrevy (not sure on spelling) got to have a shower now, just sorted the boys out, be back on later

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Nathan well done mate, great effort thanks for sharing it with us. Sorry to jump subject slightly but I see you are using a Cabo now, how do you find it? I have been tempted myself..... (pm me or start a new thread if you want to)

·
Registered
554 Posts
Brilliant fishing mate, always great to try a new technique and it working.. very well! brilliant mate keep it up!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Nathan,

Well worth waiting for, top stuff as usual, will try the Z-Claw and OSP Rudra next time out !

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Really good report & cracking pics Nath.

As for the misses - it's ideal when they arent talking to you, as you may as well fill your boots & get back out fishing ;).

I would also be interested in a bt more info about the Quantum - were they the reels that were in your box of wonders at the Bumble ? They seemed a little heavy to me at the time - but in fairness i am used to the Rarenium, which is extremely light, and i had been drinking fairly heavily ;).

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nathan, well done for working it out. I encountered similar issues last weekend. Lots of bass visible, but not many prepared to commit to a lure. We moved plenty but only hooked three, so I need to take a leaf out of your book and ring the changes this weekend and try some slower retrieves & lures. Wonder why the bass seem so shy currently any ideas?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts