The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Presumably another kind of hook Terry. There are lots to choose from.............Of course you may be happy with the one on the lure at the moment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Singles, easier for you to unhook & better for the fish and barbless if you can. I'm getting the impression youse are thinking I'm criticising I'm not just an observation

·
Registered
288 Posts
Terry, I think soft plastics like creatures (fished weedless) are the way to go if you plan on catching more wrasse.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking smaller hooks and I always crush the barbs but I will be targeting them using drop shot tactics with some of the vast array of plastics in my tackle box. Agm and Zman that failed me in Ireland.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Iv caught plenty on #14s and lower but I guess it'd knowing the ground and a rough idea of size of fish in that area. I think in the uk we tend to use hooks that are far to big in general in perticular with lure fishing. Wrasse are a relatively easy fish to catch you just have to know where they are, drop shot works well as your dangling the bait annoying the life out of them lol. Also if you fancy a bit of bait, prawn is class

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Fine if you know your going to be catching dinks, but If your targeting larger wrasse ,best leave the Lrf gear home.
A strong 2/0 or 3/0 wide gape hook is the way forward. Fishing small hooks and very light tackle will end up with lost fish with hooks in at one time.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Have a look at the fk before you buy the ci4 Terry. Awesome Reel and mine has taken a few big waves and a good dunking this year.Its Still going smoothly where lots would of packed in or be like coffee grinders now. Sealed drag and no anti reverse puts it out in front of the ci4 for me. Just my thoughts of course.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Or you could pick up an Exage for £60, including spare spool.... I've found the the Z Man Punch Crawz work a treat for Ballan wrasse and they're virtually indestructible, although they can slip down the hook.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts