The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Id been thining about trying a bit of LRf this winter to relieve the boredom so a week or so ago i took the plunge and ordered a dose of small jigheads and some small soft plastics off the net. I had an old box of SPs from cabellas i got years ago, small curltail grubs etc so that added to the stuff i had orderd and gave me plenty to play with. The stuff all arrived on monday so with high water a few hours into dark at a local pier i though i would pop out for an hour or two and give it a bash.

Being something new i though id first pop down to the little harbour in front of my house and have a play with a few diff lures to see how they felt on one of the little UL outfits i use for shad and seatrout. I rigged up a 1.5" cabellas curltail on a 2g size 6 jig first and flicked it across the little channel at the mouth to try and get a feel for it. 2nd cast in and i got hit about two turns into the retrieve and promptly landed a little pollock about 6" long, suprised to say the least!! A few casts later and the same again another little pollock, ok this works im thinking esp given the little harbour in question is completly devoid of life these days due to pollution etc.

Happy that everything was working and that i could feel the lure I dandered back to the house and gathered up my bits and bobs to head a few miles down the road to a local pier that usually has a decent amount of small stuff around it at this time of the year. My mate joined me and both armed with little rods and reels we rigged up at the end of the pier with reins rock vib`s and mini shads and flicked them out into the channel, straight off we where getting small hits but failing to connect so i changed down to a 2" rockvib and a 3.5g jig and it was fish on nearly first flick on the drop, another little pollock about 7" long and good fun on a 6ft 2-5g ul rod. To cut a long story short over the next hour and a half i had 15 odd pollock, coalies and a suprise whiting on the little reins SP, once my mate dropped his jig and hook size he started hooking up with pollock and coalies too.

To have so much success straight out was a bit of a suprise to both of us and it was alot more fun than sitting in the house waiting for the winter to pass, result..! As soon as this big blow calms a bit ill deff be out again. The pier in question usually throws up a few decent coalies in the lb+ bracket, theyll be fun on the ul rods for sure if we can connect with em.

Marty

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Nice going Marty. Looks like the LRF is gona be pretty big this winter then. Looking forward to setting myself up with some gear and tackling the monster blennys down the breakwater;)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
your not the only one matt, cant wait till after xmas and set myself up for when i cant be arsed to go bass hunting in the cold lol

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Nice one Marty,
LRF is good fun isn't it. And it sounds like you have a great venue.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Excellent. It truly is a fishing revolution! Grown men getting excited over tiny SPs and fish we would have turned our noses up at until recently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts