The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally managed a few hours on the lures this morning with Vidar. The water's so cold but I managed to wangle my 1st lure caught Pike of the year. It feels good to get off the mark. Nothing special but around 6-7lbs. Fished a small Evergreen Combat Crank 120 in Perch down the bank of the river, in a slack water area. It followed the lure to the bank so I stopped it dead, the Pike saw me, engulfed the lure at my feet and turned and ran. Good fun on my 6'2" Tenryu 7-21gr baitcaster. On wards and upwards :)

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well done Andy 1st one is always the hardest , how did Vidar get on ?? Who`s size 14 is it in the bottom of the pic !!:muttley: :muhu:
I left him staring at a couple of deadbait floats. God I've not got the patience for that, makes him laugh. Size 14's you're so funny as usual Bob. ;-)

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
well done Andy. I went out on the canal in watford this morning. the water was freezing and there didnt seem to be much about. Give me a shou if you are out next weekend

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do Jon. It was a quick spur of the moment thing this morning and I could only manage a few hours away on Valentine's Day. Still, a fish is a fish :)

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Well done Andy, nice start to the year. How come the rod and reel weren't in the pic? I would be interested to see your Tenryu baitcaster.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Lure only dives to 1.2m and I was already working it slow, stop, let it float, wind slow, etc etc along the bank so I guess I was working no more than 20-30cm of water. I was standing on a small slippy grass ledge so I could flick the lure away to my right one handed whilst still keeping my balance. The short rod is fantastic for this as you can almost point the tip straight down and bring the lure to your feet, then the shadow appeared. Do I wind or do I stay still, too late, wallop off it went. It took the lure with the 18" wire trace hard up against the rod tip, it was that close to my feet. Anyway I played it and banked it and nearly went in myself but the Pike had shook the trebles and it was hanging on by it's outer lip. Quick picture and it was back in the water. Never thought to drop the rod and reel down into the picture, that said it probably would have gone in with the Pike knowing me, there wasn't much room to move about.

Mike, I've got a Tenryu Shasta BC-62M teamed up with a black Revo SX and yellow 20lb PPro. Stiff little rod. Pulled a 12lb'er up from 60ft down on Grafham water with it last autumn. No probs and that was on 10lb PPro. http://fishing.tenryu-magna.com/info/shasta.html

1 - 11 of 11 Posts