The Lure Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just a quick report, fished the Towy last night more of a recce than a fishing trip as im guiding there this week. Water level was fantastic with the river fining down but carrying extra water but clear and visibilty could not have been better. Although it was bloody freezing and the dreaded mist came down about 2am! Started off on a floating line and Jambo purely to locate fish in the various pools and beats. Moved 2 fish which both swiped at the lure proably more out of reaction than in "hunting mode". After about 2hrs and covering last years hot-spots a quick coffee and a warm-up was the order of the night!!! Trust me when I say it was freezing!! I changed my set-up and went with a Rio fast intermediate on my Loomis GLX-D and also set-up a wetcel type 2 on my Loomis Native run, both rods are 10feet and aftm 8. Reels were Waterworks ULA force. Looking to cover the depths and finding fish!! Started covering the water with the intermediate and 2"snake fly had several pulls/plucks and lost a good fish that surfaced and thrashed its way loose! The next hour went dead. Feeling I missed my chance I trudged head down back to the lodge where I met up with Steffan who had landed a cracking fish estimated at 9lbs which he released. Feeling re-energised and slightly light headed from all the caffeine, I went to a favourite pool of mine with the aim to "bottom drag" and bank my 1st sewin of 2010. By now it was about 3am and the mist had started to lift, out went the type 2 sinker and a 3" snake variant (that steffan kindly had no choice in lending me!!) and within a couple of casts BANG!! Tremendous fight had to hang on several times to stop the fish leaving the pool only lasted 5-6minutes but felt like an hours battle!! Eventually a bright silver flank flashed in front of me and after some persuasion from me beached itself on the shallow edge. A quick look at the fish revealed no lice so must have run up river on the last set of springs and at around 6lbs I was pleased!! (well understatement of the year) It was a hen fish so I did the unhooking in the water and slipped her back out into the current, I was buzzing!!! Unfortunately I did not get another offer and with numb fingers (and other parts) I decided to call it a night just after 4am!! Absolutely made up to get the 1st of the season, Steffan banked another 2 on his Raccoon hair "snake" (somehow I forgot to give it back!!) so fingers crossed for more of the same this week.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Can't fault it, days into the new season and the Towy is producing quality fish !! Well done on the fish, sounds like you had to work for it though !! I bet those big tides brought more than a few fish into the system. You better get out there again tonight, just to check ! ;)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Cracking report Iestyn, be good for you when you can get your clients on to them as well ! You need to start carrying a camera ?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well done Iestyn,, Great report (i was almost there with you m8) hope all goes well tomorrow,, speak to ya soon, Marc..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Iestyn, I take my hat off to you. Sounds like a very promising first night with good fish in the system. Much as I love fishing I am not sure I can see myself out until 4am! Brilliant work and look forwards to reading more as the season goes on.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cracking report Iestyn, be good for you when you can get your clients on to them as well ! You need to start carrying a camera ?
Hi Steve I did have my camera with me but flash photography or any bright light shone on/around the water usually ends up killing the fishing completely and an early bath for the deviant!!!! lol. If I had not returned the fish I would have had a "trophy shot" outside the lodge where all the photos are usually taken. The only time fish are photo`d on the river is usually for publicity photos, websites, magazines features etc!!! And even then fish are put in holding boxes in the river and photo`s are taken at the end of the session and the fish released. Not my rules as I do like a nice photo!! I like a nice fresh sewin to eat aswell lol.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Point taken with the flash Iestyn, just a shame the report lacked something to look at !

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Great start to the season Iestyn.

Lets hope it's a sign of things to come mate.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Hi Steve I did have my camera with me but flash photography or any bright light shone on/around the water usually ends up killing the fishing completely and an early bath for the deviant!!!!
Totally agree. In the dark, nothing is worse than light on the water for spooking fish. Flash is the pits.
Night plugging for Bass, times many we've knackered the fishing by taking too many or, any at all pics.

Won't be doing that on quite a few trips this season unless we on a relaxed jaunt. Big fish and bright lights don't mix.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts