The Lure Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as my caribbean holiday was cancelled yesterday with less than 12 hours notice (thanks, Virgin Holidays :-x) and the rearranged one doesn't start til thursday, the mrs has found she's now got 2 extra shopping days 'til xmas which means i get 2 extra days fishing :-D

as the weather was so awful today I headed inland with my freshwater UL gear. Not a great day, the water varied in colour from dairy milk to bourneville, but i persevered and eventually found some water which was still brown but had about 1ft visibility. I had a few small perch, a brownie and a rainbow (big surprise that one, must of escaped from somewhere) and jus tthe one small jack

I did pull in an abandoned crayfish trap (no rope attached to it) which was full of about 15 big signal crayfish. That's a first for me on a lure

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Every cloud has it's silver lining eh mate. Did you take the crays to eat?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
adrian your on fire also a man of many talents lol

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Well done on getting into the fish Adrian. Never seen a Cray - do we get them in Wales :?:

·
Registered
769 Posts
Well done on getting into the fish Adrian. Never seen a Cray - do we get them in Wales :?:
Hopefully not the american signal Crayfish you see in the pic as they are non-native invader that generally thrive in the rivers they have escaped into and alter the balance of the ecosystem - to the benefit it could be argued of certain fish species in terms of availablility of a food source but possibly at the expense of their spawn getting consumed. If I recall their persence is highly damaging to the (smaller) native white clawed crayfish - due more to a disease they carry rather than just outcompeting them.

A river I fish in S England is plagued by them. I caught several on lobworms there last week when perch fishing. If the claws are red as in pic above best to take them home or kill them. However check the identity as it is illegal to disturb or damage the endangered native (white clawed) crayfish. If you cook the signal crayfish they have a good texture but only a weak flavour.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Shame about the Holiday Adrian, well done on the fishing though :clap:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts