The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have not fished in the dark for while so Saterday night i decided to give it a go, I arived a 10 and full tide was just after one. the wind had been from the North-East all week and quite strong pushing a lot of weed on to the shore line, as i made my way to where i was to fish i talked to two anglers on the beach who were bait fishing and asked what the weed was like they were haveing no problem with this was great new's. After fishing for a while on my first spot with no take's i moved.It was coming up to high water when i had my first a Bass of just over 2lb, the next fish was a bit bigger at 3.5 but gave a good scrap happy days. I fished on for awhile and had a small Pollock, with the full Moon peping in and out on a flat clam sea it made for a great night's fishing. All fish went back to fight another day,the fish were caught on a Diawa Saltiga Floting Minnow 14.5g code SAM1121F.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Nice one Sam! I must do more night fishing and with the nights drawing in it gets less exhausting to do!

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Interesting!! I have just ordered some Storm Jointed Thundersticks from Monster Tackle to try some night fishing in Cork. I read somewhere in a couple of articles or forum posts that jointed lures like the Thundersticks or Rapala J13's can be a good lure to use at night, (plus you can get a few for the price of one of the new hi-tech Japanese lures!). I suppose using one of my Zonk's would be another option.

Has anybody tried or does anybody have any views on the above?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Interesting!! I have just ordered some Storm Jointed Thundersticks from Monster Tackle to try some night fishing in Cork. I read somewhere in a couple of articles or forum posts that jointed lures like the Thundersticks or Rapala J13's can be a good lure to use at night, (plus you can get a few for the price of one of the new hi-tech Japanese lures!). I suppose using one of my Zonk's would be another option.

I use jointed rapalas at night but generally use the smaller ones in 9cm. I use the floating jointed for shallower marks, and the countdown jointed for deeper water. My favourite colour is blue/white but I'm not sure that colour has too much influence at night. For most marks though I prefer to use small SP bounced slowly actross the bottom.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Thanks for that Adrian. Now that you mention it I did run into another angler who said that he used the smaller size Xlayer's at night. Like just about everything there are probably plenty of tactics that would work.

Thanks again,

Walter

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've yet to venture out to do a bit of night bassing, maybe I'm a woos but the thought of scrambling around rocks and seaweed in the dark puts me off a tad. How do you guys cope, or do you use knee pads and shin guards and helmets, or have you all got balls of steel.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Jointed thundersticks work fine at night. I bet once you see its sexy wiggle coming back in, you'll put nothing else on the end of your rod for a week.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Dan, the best approach to night fishing is to fish venue's that you know well, go out to where you are thinking of fishing one night with out any rod's or bag's just to get a fell for moveing over rock & weed at night.You should carry two head lamps one with with a red beam so dont scar the fish at night they can be very close, work the lures very slow with stop's & and start's.Look for a safe place to land any fish caough befour you start fishing, let some one know where you are going to be fishing and what time you should be finshed, bring a spear spool if you have one you dont want to have to tie on shock leaders in the dark.Keep a good eye on the tide you dont want to get cut off in the dark, make as little noise as possible.Hope this is of some help Dan, best of luck.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Definitely right there, keep it slow and steady with pauses and gentle twitches. Nothing violent.

This is where weedless weightless SP's come into their own.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Hi Dan, the best approach to night fishing is to fish venue's that you know well, go out to where you are thinking of fishing one night with out any rod's or bag's just to get a fell for moveing over rock & weed at night.You should carry two head lamps one with with a red beam so dont scar the fish at night they can be very close, work the lures very slow with stop's & and start's.Look for a safe place to land any fish caough befour you start fishing, let some one know where you are going to be fishing and what time you should be finshed, bring a spear spool if you have one you dont want to have to tie on shock leaders in the dark.Keep a good eye on the tide you dont want to get cut off in the dark, make as little noise as possible.Hope this is of some help Dan, best of luck.
that's the most important part to start with, make sure you know the area well before attempting it in the dark, catching fish is secondary, IMHO

1 - 17 of 17 Posts