The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Popped down this morning - conditions almost perfect. Got out to the rocks and bumped into Colm from the forum - he'd pm'd to say he was coming down. Wind was blowing straight into our faces so it was difficult to cast the required distance. As a result the prime spot was going begging so I stuck on a big ugly pink pencil bait (TKR 130H) and first chuck (or 2nd) I hooked a fish which was a handful in the rip - played it across and down - saw its head, about 3-4lbs and then it shook off the barbless trebles. Gave that 10 minutes and then changed to another big Tacklehouse bait - a swimming plug - M-168. It's around 30g so I could get it out into the wind. 3or 4th run through I had a very strong take from an undoubtedly big fish - took line in long surges and in the fierce current I wasn't really in control. More or less got it across the rip and into the slack when the barbless hooks pulled out. A few minutes later Colm's Zonk tangled in my line so I started to untangle it. At that moment a thought popped into my head - my plug's still in the drink, what if a fish grabs it whilst I've got a handul of trebles? I changed the angle I was holding the lure and quickly got it untangled. As I turned to pass lure to Colm my rod shot off shoulder (where I'd leaned it) and into the water. Without thinking I jumped in and got my hand on the RodBar's butt and clambered out to fight the fish. A beautiful bronze-coloured fish was landed thanks to Colm and his Bogagrip - a quick lift gave us a weight of 6.75-7lb before it went back. My hands were shaking - not a normal condition - and it took awhile before I could carry on. My nerves! Anyway, the lads all enjoyed the spectacle.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
That sounnds like an amazing trip. And also goes to show people that a lure doesn't need to be moving to catch a bass, just stick the rod over your shoulder and let it bob about!! How long do you think the lure was stationary before you got hit? I've only ever been patient enough to hold for about 20 seconds.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounnds like an amazing trip. And also goes to show people that a lure doesn't need to be moving to catch a bass, just stick the rod over your shoulder and let it bob about!! How long do you think the lure was stationary before you got hit? I've only ever been patient enough to hold for about 20 seconds.
Andy it was exactly 21seconds ;) Seriously though it wasn't more than 30 secs.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Rolfe, it was great to meet and fish with you. The fish was 7lb on the button and it was a very funny sequence of events (once we realised you were safe!) that led to a superb fish. It will make a great story for years to come.
We ended the day with 3 fish for me and 1 for my buddy, none close to the stamp of your 7lb fish. It was a very enjoyable morning, I learned a lot this morning, particularly about covering all eventualities with lures. The heavier lures you had really paid dividends with the headwind. A re-org of my lure box is planned after this trip!!

PS: What braid did you have on this morning?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rolfe, it was great to meet and fish with you. The fish was 7lb on the button and it was a very funny sequence of events (once we realised you were safe!) that led to a superb fish. It will make a great story for years to come.
We ended the day with 3 fish for me and 1 for my buddy, none close to the stamp of your 7lb fish. It was a very enjoyable morning, I learned a lot this morning, particularly about covering all eventualities with lures. The heavier lures you had really paid dividends with the headwind. A re-org of my lure box is planned after this trip!!

PS: What braid did you have on this morning?
Colm, glad to hear that your mate got a fish and so was able to go home - I half expected to see him down there this morning looking haggard and fishless. Sad to hear about your outfit though. On the flip side, it gives you an opportunity to buy new stuff...the latest Certate is a peach apparently!

The braid was 30lb Daiwa Tournament 8braid - they sell a green and a multi-coloured one for deep jiigging. I find the coloured one easier to see. It's really great stuff - not used it long but not a hint of trouble. Given the low diameter I see no reason to go lighter for rocky marks.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done Rolfe, nice to know you got your rod back :-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts