The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
popped out for a couple of trips on sat and sun for about an hour each to try out the new rod.

I decided to order the cormoran ulx (thanks to MrFish for the quick delivery and great service again) It's not currently paired up with the right reel for my liking but it still performs very well, set with 10lb Power Pro and 8lb FC leader, both will go lighter when I can find the right braid for the job.

The fishing was slow on both days, I was fishing the high tide down for about an hour on each just over dusk and into dark. Managed 6 pollock the best about 1 lb and the smallest only a few oz or so.

Even the smallest of the fish gave an account for itself on the new light gear, with most fish taken from on the drop bites. I was fishing a 2g jighead with a mixture of small SP's.

My camera seems to be more broken then I thought after I stood on it last year when i got up to strike a fish in a rush(I'm a big chap and the camera stuck between me and a pointy bit of granite didnt suit it well),I did manage to take a couple of photos with it and will post them on here if they are ok.

Anyway had an enjoyable first couple of trips with the new rod and had some fish on it which was a good start, and I love how light it is and the feel of the lures being in contact all the time and just the amount of extra bites that I can now feel.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done John and a good haul for only 2 hrs fishing, get those pic's up if you can !!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Wonderful m8.
It was you that nicked the ULX then. They told me someone was ordering one before it was even unpacked.

Did you get the 7ft or 8ft version ?
I have used both and both are, imho, excellent, balanced, lightweight and bite transmitters ! All in a tubular tip and a great price.

But, be careful.

a few guys have carelessly broken a few light tipped rods in transit and of course, I fell and broke 2 in one go.
Nothing wrong with the rods of course but, we just need to be aware that they ARE delicate.

I can't see one getting broken on a fish if people set the drag and match the line. A few of us are matching ULX/ULF to 8lb braid.
Most Aussies and Jap LRF men are 0.3 -- 0.6 PE anyway and trust me, their higher quality super thin braids in 0.6 PE can hit 11lb !!

If you get stuck, do NOT pull with the rod, at all.
I've watched a number of LRF video's and HRF where they carry a cloth, they give the rod a load of slack, place it carefully down or, hold the rod 'inline' and 'steadily' pull back.
Braid has crap shock resistance so remember that.

I think it's brilliant you are progressed to detecting 'on the drop' bites. Yes, sure, like us, you'll get great nights and not so great nights/day's.
Weeks away from some potentially incredible LRF/HRF fishing here in the C.I's guys. I can't see anyone matching the number of species we have and often gin water but...

You never know.

Keep your reports coming m8.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Nice one John-Paul. Glad your liking your new rod. I bought one myself at the weekend, they really do have great feel with the light lures.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very good work John-Paul! Interested to hear too about the length rod you got. Just started a thread about it in fact.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Good work JP. Love the LRF. Had a poor weekend myself. only went for about an hour, lost the first fish, felt like a good pollack but it threw the hook somehow halfway through the fight. Eventually landed a pollack you wouldn't believe, only just as long as my hand. Will find the camera later.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Come and use it Tuesday night Gary.

7 or 8ft ?
I got the 7 foot Keith, It just felt better somehow? I had an hour with it Friday evening at the harbour and caught 1 6oz pollack (excellent) and tried last night but I don't think the fish were biting at all. Where are you going tonight?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sorry about the slow reply, I got the 7 foot version as mentioned. I was a bit concerned buying the rod blind but thanks to all the reviews and info on here i was in a much better position to buy, and I'm very happy that I did. The rods great for what I need and works the light lures very well, is light, and seems good value for the money. I am a bit worried about damaging the rod as I have a habbit of just chucking the rods in the back of the van and they are always OK, I think i may just get a solid tube to keep the rod in and leave it in the van as I would be pretty gutted to break it.

I poped out again yesterday and managed another pollock of about 1/2 lb, they give a good account of themselves on the light gear and it makes it much more enjoyable, I just cant wait till the fish start turning up in numbers later in the year as it can only get better. The mark was flat calm yesterday but there just seemed to be a lack of fish and as the tide turned the few small knocks I was getting turned to no bites/taps at all so I called it a night.

I'm planning to scope out a few more rock marks over the next weeks as I've mainly just been fishing the same easy mark at the moment and will post with any results from trips out. Also the camera seems like it may be working again so I will try and post some pics next time too.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
OK, I think i may just get a solid tube to keep the rod in and leave it in the van as I would be pretty gutted to break it.
Get a rod tube !

I have, used it only once but I already feel safer with it.
Less than £25 to protect 2 X rods + reels. No brainer really.
I'm guessing it might be an idea to buy a bag/tube when buying a rod from anywhere if they can supply.
They come in tube anyway in the post. Can't see it affecting overall carriage.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Fall over warning --

I have been lure fishing on Mr Fishs boat where he called me "Captian Sea Legs", but having fished with myfish (Keith White) for several months he falls down more than me (( I am old (54) & suffer from chronic fatigue and chronic pain), but he still falls over more than me. I am glad that i am not racing bikes anymore!

PS don't give Keith your rods to take to a mark, (don't know how to do smillies) all meant in fun.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Fall over warning --

I have been lure fishing on Mr Fishs boat where he called me "Captian Sea Legs", but having fished with myfish (Keith White) for several months he falls down more than me (( I am old (54) & suffer from chronic fatigue and chronic pain), but he still falls over more than me. I am glad that i am not racing bikes anymore!

PS don't give Keith your rods to take to a mark, (don't know how to do smillies) all meant in fun.
Or Jamo!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts