The Lure Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after missing out on a trip to go Pike fishing this morning (Simon & Iestyn snowed in) Adam and I decided to go and fish a local mark, Bracelet Bay, featured in Sea Angler this month.

We arrived at 10am just as the tide was turning to the Ebb,

This was the view to the Left hand side, Mumbles Light House is on the tip.

And this to the Right hand side,

Being alone today, no Simon or Tim , I had to think for myself, having picked my first spot I clipped on a Feed Shallow and covered the ground from right to left and for a change decided to move along the bay starting on the left hand side. Being on my own, I took the time to assess what was in front of me, protruding rocks, water movement and gullies and changing lures to suit the area and what i wanted them to do. All in all it was a good 4 hours out, loads learnt about the mark and great to put in to practice all things you guys have shared with me, I am finally starting to think where the fish might be instead of just blindly casting the lure, so no fish caught, loads learnt and a feeling I might catch a fish soon.

Here are just a few more photo's

And this is me and the boy.

Reactions: Adam Lewis

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice report Steve!!! We'll be waiting when the Bass return from they're hols in Cornwall !!!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Beautiful Bit of Coast line, bet it holds plenty of bass over the warmer months. Hope what you learnt this time puts you into them next time.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice report Steve!!! We'll be waiting when the Bass return from they're hols in Cornwall !!!
I have always maintained they are down that way on their holidays Si, they have been giving our Celtic cousins some sport and as long as they keep putting them back we will see them soon I am sure !

Cracking day it was down there, temp was around 9 degrees with a slight swell. water was a bit coloured though.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Steve, smashing bit of ground there and I am sure it should hold some bass later in the year (any chance if an invite!? even if I am English!) Well done for getting out with your lad and enjoying some beautiful weather. The piking was great - we will rearrange when the boys from the valleys aren't "snowed in"!

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steve, smashing bit of ground there and I am sure it should hold some bass later in the year (any chance if an invite!? even if I am English!) Well done for getting out with your lad and enjoying some beautiful weather. The piking was great - we will rearrange when the boys from the valleys aren't "snowed in"!
Tim,

You are welcome down here whenever you and George want to come, English or not. Some great ground down this way, long walks to it or not.

Well done on the Pike today :clap:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Stunning bit of ground steve , shame no fish , i bet the spring come summer it will be alive with bass ....

OH buy the way did you know that you got a catapillar under your nose...:aarrg::muttley:
It was bigger than that untill I trimmed it yesterday

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Should have tried for a Wrasse maybe.

Always worth opening up your options regardless of original intent.
Hi Keith,

Not sure if there are any Wrasse there, this ground has fished well for Cod, Bass and Whiting in the past but unsure of what other species frequent this ground, the area is teaming with life so must attract other fish, its just a case of fishing it more & more to find out. I did have SP's with me but didn't try any of them, maybe have a go next time I am there.

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
I think that Wrasse & Pollack are a possibility off the headlands Steve - they are caught at Langland, which is just around the corner, so i don't see why they couldnt be caught there.

Outside chance of Bream & Triggers in the summer ?

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve,

Try low tide in front of the coastguard station. Some lovely gully's. Only walked it not fished but lots of cover for Bass.

Marc

Marc,

I fished this area in November last year, right where you have suggested, but had no luck, at the time I would have been blindly throwing a lure out and not giving any feature or conditions a second thought, now that I have gained a bit more knowledge the area deserves a return. The whole area from Bracelet Bay around to Langland and Caswell needs a good going over, so I will be spending quite bit of time there this Season.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think that Wrasse & Pollack are a possibility off the headlands Steve - they are caught at Langland, which is just around the corner, so i don't see why they couldnt be caught there.

Outside chance of Bream & Triggers in the summer ?
As said to Marc, the whole area needs further investigation, some marks will be easy to get to others will require a long walk, I may be able to tempt you on to some of them Simon ?????????????

·
Registered
843 Posts
As said to Marc, the whole area needs further investigation, some marks will be easy to get to others will require a long walk, I may be able to tempt you on to some of them Simon ?????????????
I have caught Pollack, garfish and mackerel at Bracelet and pollock and mackerel at Langland point. I know there are Bass at Langland. Will be visiting there some time this summer

1 - 18 of 18 Posts