The Lure Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally some silver bar!!

Sean and I had everything covered. A van full of kit including surfboards and plugging gear. When we left south cornwall we werent sure what we were going to need first. Surf reports for the north coast were off the scale for some quality waves and it just so happened that it all sounded good for the bass too. The area we were heading to is just set up for both persuits and we were gagging for the highs that both could potentially provide. One thing we were certain of was that we needed to severe our ties with the south coast for a plugging session as we had both got to the stage where we were questioning how we were going about our fishing as we had both been skunked/blanked/burned on every trip on the south coast for the past 5 months!!(Bar some recent pollack action) And christ knows we have both put huge effort and time into the persuit of our favorite quarry.
Our destination lying between Newquay and Polzeath is a favourite of ours with alot of time invested in learning how the place works, we both felt good about our choice on the drive up. As the tide was a bit off the peak time we thought we would check the surf and get some waves but were put off by crowds of surfie posers and poor quality waves. We didnt think twice about grabbing the rods and getting to our favourite perches and flinging some plastic.
First out of the box was a new 145 SLD in silver sides with white glow back and looked good until I realised I was fishing in about 10-15 ft of water with a lure that dived only 2-3ft doh! so put on a giant xlayer in Ayu colour on a 7gm jighead and let it sink with slow intermittent retive motions. 3rd cast suddenly noticed a fish flash up from below and smack the xlayer just before it came out of the water below me. Was a welcome tustle and I let out a scream of relief that was probably heard on the south coast. At this time sean had been fishing a couple of his favorite gullies and had thrown most of his hard plastics at them with no results. He heard my yeehaas and came over and promptly stuck on a sluggo on a 7gm jighead and it wasnt long before he got slammed by a 2lb fish. I stuck with my xlayer and got hit again from the same spot with a bigger fish of about 2 1/2-3lb. After looking like a pair of idiots dancing around hooting and shaking eachothers hands we carried on for a bit till the tide pushed up and some guy turned up with a beachcaster loaded with a rusty spoon spinner equipped with a crabline weight we thought we should leave him to get caught on the rocks and then cut off by the tide!
On the way back over the reef sean had his twitchy feeling when he saw a tasty gulley and stopped to pull his TD pencil over it and 2nd cast bang fish on. Just a schoolie but enough to get our bass starved arses hooting and dancing again.
All in all a great evenings fishing and our first silver of the year.

P.s Have sorted out the photos here they are....

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very good work Luke!! I'm guessing you were very close to me?! I was on girlfriend duty today unfortunately! Doh!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Luke & Sean - well done and great to see a plan coming togther. Having only recently got started ourselves I know what a relief it is. Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Drought over Guys,
Well done, know that twitchy feeling only too well.
Congrats

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well done Luke, I had a good fish yesterday morning in the same area, tried closer to Polzeath last night but blanked, hampered by a lot of fine weed in the water and having ti move around quite a bit to find the areas that were weed free.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts