The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The wife told me to get out of the house for a couple of hours so i went fishing.!

High Tide: 3pm (ish)

Wind: Northeasterly

I left the house armed with a couple lures and some soft plastics and a pair of Speedos, as i wanted to work on my tan you see!...lol

I didn't travel far from home as to be honest i wasn't really in the mood, so I clambered down over the rocks and felt a bit daft plugging out on the rocks wearing just my speedos, but anyway i fished for about an hour with the tide on the flood and the sea picking up and the spray started coming up over me which was nice and refreshing to say the least!

I moved back off the rock and dropped back in behind, which i knew would eventually fill up with water and be sheltered from the white water and give me a chance to get some surface work on the go. I went back on to the beach to sun bath for about an hour in the buff which was great ( not sure i should be this open about my day but anyhow..lol) just to give this sheltered area time to get 6 inches of water over the tops of the bolders, which would be adequate cover to get bass to adventure in.

I went back down an hour later to this now flooded area and it looked so peace full and still, but out on the mouth of where the sea floods in, was covered in white water with plenty of waves waiting to come in, and i knew i had a good couple hours fishing this area until the sea would raise enough to cause white water and swell where i was, but as i got to my choose rock i could see bass literally under my rod tip and as i looked further out i could count at least 20 plus bass, nothing big but who cares!! I can tell you at that point i almost fell in with excitement!!

I climbed back off my rock and waded back to the beach area as i couldn't carry anything with me other than my Boga Grips that was strapped to a leash on my arm and my Rod Bar 270 and changed my plug to my preferred weapon of choice, (Z Claw original) knowing that the bass were there in big numbers and didn't want to spook the bass with any thing big and clumbersome.

I waded back out onto the rock and honestly now this pond was Living in bass, so much in fact they were cruising around the place with the tops of their heads and dorsal fin out of the water with out a care in the world and here was me selecting which bass i wanted to catch by casting a few meters in front of its swim path and retrieving the lure back to it, well that's what i thought anyway! but they were not interested whats so ever, believe me when i say i used that Z claw every which way but the bass wasn't interested WHATS SO EVER!!!!! the lure was going through the water touching bass which would make the bass propel forward a few feet but that's the only impression that the bass gave!

I kept on getting off this rock and wading back to the beach area and changing lures all the while trying different methods and making up all new methods to catch these Bloody fish. I went out armed this time with a Feed Shallow one of the new ones we just got in and thought i would give it a try and this time i thought instead of trying to target individual fish, i would just fish the conditions and forget the fish i could clearly see! so I put a cast as far as i could to reach the mouth of where i could see the white water and the waves as any bass fisherman will tell you this is where the fish would normally lay up and feed, not always but more often than not!

It was my fourth wind of the handle with plenty of rod action and i was into a Bass at long last! Now i am not a scientist on the basses feeding habits but it would seem the bass in the white water were the active feeding bass and the ones at my feet were either full up or sun bathing (I THINK THIS IS ONE FOR KEITH TO ANSWER) as i know as a human when i get hot, i don't feel like eating either...lol

By this time i had to jump into the water up to my chest and swim back to the beach area and unhook the bass for photos, as i had now where to store a camera or any change of lure for that fact! I swam back out to the rock and straight away i was into another bass, so back in the water again, another photograph and back out, and after that i thought well i am waisting more time swimming back in, unhooking and photographing the fish than fishing, which is my primary role here!

With this mind set in place i decided to swim out to the mouth of where the flooding water is coming into this area and where i was stood at the very start of the session, which was a good six foot out of the water and i had a great view of the calm bay to my left and white water and waves to my right and believe me when i say the calm section was LIVING in bass, I've never seen any thing like it! I swam over with a couple of Xlayers stuffed down my Speedos and 2 hard plastics lures clipped onto my JB Clip on the rod.

I started of with the Feed shallow and just cast into the shoal and with every turn of the handle was a hit of some kind, alot of fish were being foul hooked and just were not interested in the calm section, so i switched to the Xlayers and just twitched it through them, really softly until Wallop bass on! . Having the xlayer on stopped the foul hooking completely and landed every bass, 10 infact in side of 40 minutes but i started to get very impatient as i DONT have any! and wanted to get into the bass quicker.

I switched over to the Z Claw and switched my attention to the white water were i couldn't see any fish but knew they were their but as it looked to rough to work the lure across the top, i got down low to the water so i could work the lure just under the surface which you can do with the Z Claw but you just have to work it quicker, and every other cast was a fish on either that or i would have a load of weed on the lure, so basically i just kept on switching between the feed shallow and the Z claw.

I had to be back to help the wife with the boys from school for 3.30pm so i jumped in to the not so calm section anymore due to the fact that it was almost high tide ish and swam back into the beach, but this time with a load of swell, which was a bit hairy, but a price you got to take if you want to work on your tan ....lol

I put on my boots, picked up my bag and top and headed back up the rocks, knowing the area is fishing it's Boobies off!! but i just had to be greatful for just the Amazing sport which i had just had, the only down side to a session like that, is not having anyone there to share it with!

Oh ya the bass were all small biggest being about 2.5lb as the Boga grips only go up in a half pound at a time.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Massive bass shoal?????!!! Nice one mate.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Should have had at least 100!! :muttley:

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Poor angling if you lost that many Nathan :wink:

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just got in, will sort it out in the morning now.

Just a massive shoal of bass, on surface!!!, lots were being foul hooked which resulted in the loss, sorry keith you dont get numbers like that in jersey so i guess you wouldnt know what i am on about....doh....lol

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
you win mate! ...lol they were all small but great fun tho, now doing photos and report buddy, you can have a good laugh then....doh :)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
What a "pastey pasty" !!!

Now that's what i call a 'real' man's attire - although a 'real' man would have more of a belly :rofl:

;)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts