The Lure Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday 4/06/10

small tides, clearing sea's, suspended weed....

I headed East for the mid tide.

Actual water temp at surface: 14.2 deg C
At 5 meters, 14 deg

Japweed growing in strength now. stacks of baits, clouds in fact. All 3.5 -4" long. Lots of joey mackerel. Teams of small Bass working the tidal current seams and shoals of Mullet cruising the bays. Groups of Garfish were seen.

Bass, Pollack, Gars and Mackerel were caught on small soft lures and small 3.5g metals.

In water time, 3 hours approx.

SE over the low to 2 hours up:

No Bass seen. Japweed well established. Wrasse in abundance. Again, clouds of bait were seen. Water temps 14.5 deg C at all skished and dived depths. Some large Mullet spotted and no Pollack (didn't expect any tbh)

3 VERY large stingrays est 40lb plus were seen in the usual place.

5 mid sized Wrasse caught to deadstick and shake. 2 in heavy Japweed where I actually spotted the target fish before casting, or pitching in.

In water time, 3.5 hours approx

West:

Water temp 15 deg C
Low swell, very clear. Water actually felt colder but, was in reality, warmer. It was later in the day now though. Bass seen, Bait seen, Mullet seen, BIG !, really BIG Wrasse seen, cast too and hooked...1 bent out hook later.... argggg

Just a few gars were seen but these were generally spooked as I made longer casts up the current which, on these smaller tides is quite slow.

Caught...

3 Wrasse, 2 Bass ( biggest 3lb) and 2 Pollack (small). In water time 2 hours approx.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Fair Play , must be great fun! - always impressed reading the skishing trips , as i find it hard enough out the water sometimes :)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Out on the banks at Gorey yesterday, the water was very clear and small (3-4") sandeels were everywhere being chased by snipe I believe. Good to know there's plenty of baitfish around.

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Keith

i would imagine a skished caught stingray would cause a few hairy moments.

·
Premium Member
6,385 Posts
Plan is....

Mark them from the water. They stay put for long periods.
Back up to hard reef, cast to the rays...

Hold on.
Then it aint caught skishing ( remember Steve Irwin ) and it aint fairly caught from the shore is it .!!!!!!!!!!! going spotting like that I call it cheating IMO need for rule check !!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts