The Lure Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for an idea of scale, that is a giant XLayer below in the jaws of a 40lb+ Wrasse that I caught this afternoon. I played it for 20 minutes (erm, may have been 20 seconds!), before swinging it in.

wrasse..jpg

Maybe in reality he was actually closer to 40g than 40lb, but at around 12oz I suppose he breaks me in to the HRF crew.

Had I been fishing for pollack I think I could have landed a proper net full. Messing around on just a couple of shallower retrieves, they were swiping at baits all over the place. Did land one of about a pound, just to break my initial boredom after about half an hour of trying for the wrasse. With the boredom broken (I don't like blanking much), I was straight out again at the fot of a vertical cliff. Having let the bait settle, after just a few seconds I lifted in to the fish above. Proper scrappy little chap, I have no idea how I got a fish twice his size out on the LRF gear yesterday!

Anyway, Wrasse mission complete.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Ben, well done - I'd be quite happy with that (although I've yet to target the wrasse on lures this season). Just proves it works!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I'm officially impressed.

So guys....

No excuses, why fish for Bass only when it's now 'proven' that these techniques work along the southern English coastline too.

Get OUT THERE.

Well done Ben. Welcome to the HRF crew.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Wow what did you use to cast that monster jig head? A broom handle? and is that half inch thick mono or see through para cord? ;)

Nice little chap though, I think I should expand my horizons next time I'm down on the coast and have a look for some of these beasties

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow what did you use to cast that monster jig head? A broom handle? and is that half inch thick mono or see through para cord? ;)
See-through para cord. :muttley:

Cheers guys. It was tough actually as the wind had increased massively from the day before, meaning that to get any shelter from the conditions (above and below the water's surface), I was pretty much hemmed in to one little bay. I was actually slightly put off by the fact that in this little bay it was solid with tiny sandeels near the surface. Normally a promising sign perhaps, but with probably 30' visibility, not one of them flinched as if it were in the presence of a predator. But then i suppose, like I've said on another thread, I think for the most part the 'proper' fish were down deep, keeping themselves out of sight.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I know exactly what you mean Ben. I have fished areas full of Grasdos that seem far too relaxed for my liking, and I have ended up moving on. I want to see darting and splashes and swirling!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts