The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went plugging for a couple of hours on Friday morning with Iain Venn and
Robert ( daddy) to get into some action.
The pressure was starting to get to me as Iain has never caught a fish and it was his birthday and he said I need to get him a bass or I am sacked!!! Oh dear, so a trip to Tescos it was then...lol

He caught a fantastic first bass of over 4lb! and I had a couple tooooo, no size but they all count.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had some great teachers from the channel islands! :) no full credit has to go to Iain, listened to everything that was said, and he produced the goods! The hardest thing to teach the new guys is where to throw the plastic, and why. :)

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Young man, there's no need to feel down.
I said, young man, pick yourself off the ground.
I said, young man, 'cause you're in a new town
There's no need to be unhappy.

Young man, there's a place you can go.
I said, young man, when you want to catch Bass.
You can stay there, and I'm sure you will find
Many ways to have a good time.

It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.
It's fun to stay at the Y-M-C-A.

They have everything that you need to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys ...

;)

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one mate. And good on Iain as well! Looks a nice calm day!! :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Nath, good to see Iain get his fish, Shame about the pics with you in :-D

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks Bud!

Thanks Nathan - it was a great start to my birthday.

I must say Bob is spot on - your guiding skills made all the difference, I know for sure.

I would also add that your encouragement and infectious enthusiasm for fishing has made the start of my fishing life so much more enjoyable.

My brother tried to teach me when I was a kid, but he wasn't a good teacher and he really wasn't interested in getting me to catch fish - it was a miserable experience most of the time - we had more blank days than I care to remember and even as an impressionable kid, I had the horrible feeling he really did not know what the hell he was doing!

The fish he caught when I wasn't around would fill a trawler, but I never saw anything more than a few pollack (no better than 2lb) and a wrasse or 2.

It didn't inspire me and I didn't take my interest any further.

I have always loved the sea and as a father now, I would love to get into the fishing and (one day) teach my kids how to fish - help them catch and give them something to have a lot of fun with.

With my eldest just 8 and loving 'flick fishing' on the iphone - he is already into having a go - we have already had a fun in the surf at St Agnes and although we were never going to catch where we were - we had a lot of fun and got absolutely drenched!!

It would never have occurred to me to have a professional show me how to do it, I'd never heard of a fishing guide ever - only guide trips on boats and that never really appealed to me.

Finding people who know how to fish - catch fish without the BS and encourage all comers to have a go - well - that was not something I had experienced before.

Thanks to you and your Dad (Rob) because you are both gifted, genuine and great fun to be around.

And I would like to thank my wife.............my children.................my rabbit...............

ahem.............

sorry - getting a bit carried away!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nathan, great fish to get Iain started but for god's sake man - put your bloody shirt on ;) You look like a flippin' tourist. You'll have to get a telescopic beach caster and start throwing Ron Thompson mackerel feathers if you insist on looking like that LOL!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts