The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Following his recent fly-fishing lessons and catching some trout, George has been determined to land a bass on the fly. After an exceptionally generous donation of some home-tied saltwater flies from Alex Jordan to get him started, we ventured out to an estuary mark today which we know holds plenty of small fish which feed in the shallow water as the tide floods. It is ideal for wading and fishing on the fly. I stuck with a light spinning outfit and small weedless SP's as we only have one fly outfit.
When we arrived, the water was just pushing across the sand and we could see a shoal of small fish feeding actively but couldn't tell if they were bass or mullet. After an hour or more of chasing them, George proved without doubt they were bass with his first saltwater fly-caught fish. Not huge at all but very welcome indeed.

This fish was caught on a tiny fly in less than a foot of water and really got us fired up. The tide pushed really fast across the sand and we could see lots of fish swirling and moving through the shallows. Once we moved out of the inshore shallows and into the edge of the river into the incoming current we really hit the jackpot with lots of fish and takes missed, with George doing better than me. At one point he was 5-1 up but I managed to catch up to a respectable 6-4 (his last fish is below):

We had a great laugh fishing in no more than 3 feet of water. I did try some video of the best fish George landed, but the underwater parts seem to need more practice. Pardon the water on the lens, but you get the idea. George was absolutely buzzing and we know where to go when we need a laugh rather than a big fish.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Well done to you both, great stuff :-D

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Superb work guys :clap:, i'd love to get a Bass on the Fly this year - must give it a try at some point !!!

Great report :D.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Absolutely brilliant George,
Really well done, Bass on a fly is very good. Beating the old man at fishing simply stunning!!
Just wait until you get a big one on fly!!!

Tim, great videos. Dad excited, while George plays his bass in like an old hand-top marks to the both of you.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Superb work guys :clap:, i'd love to get a Bass on the Fly this year - must give it a try at some point !!!

Great report :D.
George will show you how if you ask nicely, Si! :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks dad for the report and thanks guys for all the comments feeling the scrap the second one gave me i`d love to think what a bigger one would do!!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well done George, bet your chuffed with 6 on the fly absolutely brilliant. Tim great report and pictures as usual always a pleasure to read and well done to Alex for supplying the fly’s. Don’t know how you guys managed to find somewhere out of the wind today, I was on the coast at 4.00am (Aberaeron) this morning and got blown off my feet.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great work guys. Can I ask what sort of fly set-up you are using? I would like to have a try myself some time.
Andy, the set-up is the Shakespeare starter kit that his Grandfather had previously and gifted to George. It's a 9', 8-weight I believe with a basic reel and floating line. Fluoro leader and a little sandeel type fly that Alex tied. Quite a soft and forgiving rod which is good for George is he is just getting started on fly-fishing. I think the whole set-up was originally about £70 as an outfit via John Norris of Penrith about 3 years ago....

Reactions: Andy Marquis

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Sounds like a great starter and it obviously works just fine. Can't wait to hear about George testing the rods limits with some big fish soon as I am sure he will be...

·
Registered
659 Posts
Cracking report and pics Tim,, and what can i say??? apart from,, "GEORGE, YOU IS DA MAN!!!"...:jump: Great to see you catching bass on the fly... keep up the good work guys,, Marc..

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another excellent session again lads.......whats the total scores so far Tim ?
Well considering what a bad June we had (George has been blank for a month!) it's quite close. 18-13 in my favour for now....

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Absolutely brilliant guys...Tim looks like you've found your new vocation....Filming George catching fish...:muttley::muttley:

What a team! Well done lads.....

You got a waterproof Lumix as well Tim??

1 - 20 of 32 Posts