The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first thread even though I've been a member of this excellent forum for a few months and first just like to to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to it because I have learnt so much and thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Always meant to put in a catch report but never quite got round to it.
Anyway..

On Friday I decided to go to a marks to have a go for bass with sp's but when I got there there was unusually a couple of chaps baiting fishing (they didn't appear to have had any luck, it didn't actually look particularly favourable ) so I had a half arsed go around the nearby rocks and only succeeded in getting snagged. After a sit down I decided to have a go where I caught a big old wrasse two days running while after bass in August but didn't have scales.
I've actually avoided the spot for a while.
Here's a pic of him from August

I put on an old ayu x layer and 8g head and after no time was getting plucks and pecks, (I've found the best technique for wrasse it just to let them pick it up and wait for them to hook themselves, most of the time when I get a bite they are only holding on to the soft end and aren't hooked) after a while..bosh he's hooked, after a fair old scrap I got him up out of the kelp and could see it was the same wrasse I had caught before. I quickly weighed him, 5lb dead on,
a few rubbish pics from my phone and back in and he swam away strongly without any of the upside down floating thing that wrasse sometimes do.

Then on Saturday in the spirit of wrasse fishing I decide to venture up to a reef which is only fishable in calm weather which looks like it has bags of potential for all sorts but I've never caught anything there. Found a suitably wrassy corner so using an xlayer had endless plucks and pecks but no hook ups, tried somewhere else and similar. Changed tack put on a One Up Shad and decided to cast out over the deep kelp beds more in hope than expectation, using as slow a retrieve as i could and just tickling the top of the kelp, on the third cast bang fish on and down into the kelp, fish and lure gone. I was going to have to go but put on another shad for a few last casts, I cast back into where I originally had the bites and bang a proper fighter, saw the brown shape coming up another big wrasse this one 4lb 10oz. He was much bluer than my photos. I wasn't expecting wrasse to go for the shads.
Thought I'd put in a picture of one of our wonderful cornish sunsets from yesterday which are at their best this time of year.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cheers Andy, thats something coming from you but I think most is the luck of where I live not my great fishing skill!
Everything I know about sp's has come from this forum and much from your posts.
Oh and lots of offerings to the sea gods I think has helped.

The big green one was the one I caught in August.
This i'm sure is the same fish from friday but using my camera phone and doesn't look half as impressive in the photos but was as large.
DSC00510.JPG
DSC00509.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Very good work Andrew!!! Couple of porkers!!!! :D

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Andy

My rod is a Teklon 702 (7-25g) and my reel's a cormoran blackstar 3000 with 15lb (.11 pe) powershot braid and I've been using seaguar 15lb fluoro.
The first time I caught the big one was a giant ayu xlayer with a 10g ball head, then on an original shrimp minnow x layer with 8g ball head and friday on a original
ayu xlayer with a 8g head. The last one I was using on a 5'' One up Shad with a 7g bachi head, which wasn't an intentional choice I'd just run out of others.

The one thing I think I have done different from what I've read on here is I've found not to go too light with the heads on xlayers (different from bass),
if i've dropped down to 5g the bites have dried up and best around 8g.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts