The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to go back to the mark I found a few weeks ago, wading and boulder hopping to a run in front of some reef near low water.

Now yesterday was a 3.5m low compared to the 2.2m low when I last went. Now that's the limit without getting very wet indeed.

I managed to get across about an hour before low. This is boulder hopping and gully jumping. Gullies some 10ft deep with raised boulders you can hop across to clear the gully. Problem was the boulders were also underwater.

Using the net handle as a depth guide I figured it was possible with the plan to come back just after low when it should have been a bit lower.

Well it was hairy I can tell you. Jumping into gullies onto boulders in waist deep water is "interesting" but I made it out there.

Tide running hard despite the small tide. Ouw lows get as low as 0.1m so 3.5m is near dead neap.

Had a few chucks with the Sasuke 105 and then it flew off. Nooooooooo. Bloney leader knot again. Last time I use 15lb triplefish Flouro. Every time I have used it I have had trouble. Back to the Ultima for me. Just ordered some more leader and a baby feed. Open comp this weekend run by the "other" club and first round of interclub so I wanted a proven shallow baby size lure. Hope it will get here in time...

Anyway.

Hit a few small pollack and then thought I had a bass on, ran hard and deep, gave me some hairy weed moments in the fight and then it was the wrong colour. Brown Bass.

Sorry 'bout the pic!!

pollack.JPG pollack2.JPG

That's a 3 inch big hammer in it's mouth to give scale as well. About 4lb I reckon. Lovely colour kelp pollack.

Soon time to get back, still mourning my Sasuke 105...

Well it was an almost uneventful trip back but the swell had come up so not only jumping to submerged boulders but timing it between swell pounding through the gullies. Nightmare. 3m tide next time I reckon!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Nice account of the session Andy, and a lovely big Pollock there :clap:. Good luck for the comp at the weekend :D.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wetsuits then require waterproof equipment... VS reels, waterproof bag... A whole can of expenses!! And the wetsuit of course. I do need a new suit. My old one seems to have shrunk a bit round the middle. Odd. I want one for snorkelling etc.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
The waterproof reel is the only thing stopping me doing it now. I'd love to be able to fish certain spots without the constant worry of whether I can get back or not - I'd be more than happy to float back across. Just cannot enjoy it when worrying.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Its not that simple unfortunately. I think I might make some major mods to one of my old reels with some sealant and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Its not that simple unfortunately. I think I might make some major mods to one of my old reels with some sealant and see what happens.
The mods I have seen to deal with submersion went the other way, ie opening up the reel to allow water to enter and exit easily but coating all working parts with waterproof outboard grease. From what I have seen it works an absolute treat but you need to be handy onthe tools to achieve it. A VS is a far easier option.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
I always enjoy reading your reports Andy, great stuff and a nice fish :-D

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A lot of my problem with actually getting in the water is that I cannot get away from being a club angler. Just gives me the competitive edge to push myself that bit harder and it seems to push me through the hard times.

I can't get in the water to get to a mark as it wouldn't count for "Access to all marks on foot only" other than Herm island where you can take the boat across. So if I swam then any fish would not count.

And I would be found out... Why were there 12 people on the mark I had my two 9-12's on a few days later. Well I didn't tell the world!! The hills have eyes...

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
A lot of my problem with actually getting in the water is that I cannot get away from being a club angler. Just gives me the competitive edge to push myself that bit harder and it seems to push me through the hard times.

I can't get in the water to get to a mark as it wouldn't count for "Access to all marks on foot only" other than Herm island where you can take the boat across. So if I swam then any fish would not count.

And I would be found out... Why were there 12 people on the mark I had my two 9-12's on a few days later. Well I didn't tell the world!! The hills have eyes...
I know exactly where you are coming from.
We've still got nowhere with the skishing equation here in Jersey regards acceptance by our clubs.
Time for changes I think.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts