The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple hours after work on Tuesday and hit Poole Quay, to try out the metals once more and have some fun....... Sunny, with light wind and a fair bit of weed.

Water Water resources Sky Light Cloud

I had tried a 3g Ecogear Pink vibe, but unfortunately hit part of the floating deck, low down, opposite side, and it snapped off. New one already on order.

Had a go with a couple 5g and 7g Dangan jigs, but again nothing happening, though think I may have had a small hit. Weed was a pain.

Clipped on a 3g Meihi in White Pink and hit a lovely Sand Smelt. They are wriggly little fellas, but got a nice pic......

Fish Finger Marine biology Fin Ray-finned fish

Clipped on a 3g Dangan jig in Silver. I have been trying a lift and draw with the metals, but adding in OTD, by allowing line out with open bail and also simply OTD with the metal arcing to the rod, without any action imparted from me.

Anyway, 10 mins later I had a hit, then nothing for a few mins, so decided to give the lure a couple more casts and I'm glad I did as this little Bass hit...

Water Gesture Finger Fin Fish

This is one of the small parts of the Quay that I'm getting some joy from, but also lost that 3g Pink vibe.

Water Sky Building Fluid Vehicle

After answering a dozen LRF questions for passer Byers, like what the bloody hell you doing without bait, I decided to make my way back and clipped on a 7g Xesta After Burner in BIW for a few flicks. Glad I did as got another Sand Smelt.....

Fish Fin Ray-finned fish Electric blue Tail

That was it and I was off home. On Friday I ordered some more Xesta After Burners from Ben as I only have one. They arrived today and after copious amounts of house work and a walk with family, I was off to the Quay again.

I wish I had more time, had hoped to get off to the rocks in Swanage or the harbour in Weymouth, but I just do not have the time with family committments, but maybe next weekend. Good luck to any parent helping their kids with GSCEs.

This is my new look jigs section....... and a few more still to arrive. New additions being the Xesta Bee Slow in 5g and 7g, together with 2 new After Burners in 7g Cotton Candy and 5g Silver. Vibe lures on the other side of foam box, with the jigheads, due to growth in metal jigs....

Light Product Automotive lighting Cosmetics Material property

Anyway, hit the Quay this afternoon, when the tide was high and the weed and absolute pain in my behind, worst weed I have experienced since getting into LRF and I spent almost every retrieve dogging weed and then pulling it off the lure, check this soup out..

Water Fluid Liquid Landscape Grass

Clipped on the 5g Bee, but no joy, but nice lure and then clipped on a 5g Red Gold Meihi, which again only brought me more weed.......

Then tried both 3g Dangans and the 7g Bee, which I was impressed with, not just the vibe action on retrieve, but its ability to pick up weed on every flamin cast, in handfuls.

Had enough of that so hit a couple Crazy Fish SPs (2" Vibro Worm in Pearl and 2.2" Nano in Pink), but nudda....

30 mins of drop Shot resulted in no fish, really no action going on. It was hot and very windy and the fish were clearly not in the mood. Went to my new 5g Blue Dangan jig and this little chappy obliged, to end my day....

Fish Fin Marine biology Tail Ray-finned fish

Couple Questions:

1) How have you got on with the Xesta After Burners (3g to 7g)?

2) I have been using the Crazy fish singles in size 8 on the tail of the Afterburners and Dangans, do you guys use the Decoy Singles at all, in say 6 and/or 8? I do not have any so not sure what the sizing are like?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
do you guys use the Decoy Singles at all, in say 6 and/or 8? I do not have any so not sure what the sizing are like
I've got some 6 or 8s. I will photograph them against a coin or something else for reference tomorrow and get back to you James.
If you get some proper Smelts, freeze them up, and I will chuck them at a thirty in Chew come October!

·
Registered
567 Posts
Ace report. I been buying cheap China metals off eBay they have caught me a lot of fish and if you snag them it ain't the end of the world. I fitted some dressed singles to the back of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nice work again James. You are building a nice little collection of LRF metals. I really like the Afterburners and Mahi lures and have had good success on both. Check out the Savage Gear and HTO mini metals. Very good quality and not too expensive. Not hugely dissimilar to the Xestas either!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ace report. I been buying cheap China metals off eBay they have caught me a lot of fish and if you snag them it ain't the end of the world. I fitted some dressed singles to the back of them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Any links to these metals bud?

Nice work again James. You are building a nice little collection of LRF metals. I really like the Afterburners and Mahi lures and have had good success on both. Check out the Savage Gear and HTO mini metals. Very good quality and not too expensive. Not hugely dissimilar to the Xestas either!
Yeah, happy with the collection, but would like to get some 3g After Burners to compare against the Dangan ones I have. The new little Bees are great, see catch report just put up for more info.

I will have a look at the SG and HTO. Which HTOs specifically are you referring to Kev?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Lovely report and very interesting James thank you and well done .

Reactions: Stardust

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
That's a nice little session James. I love metals fir lots of things and am surely more wrasse would be caught if more people tried them. All my cuckoos have come to metals ( all 3 of them lol)

·
Registered
6,001 Posts
Pain the aerosoles not being able to edit ...was going to add that it's a shame that you can't get hold of the blue/Silver quantum mahi in smaller sizes any more.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all replies guys.

View attachment 38883
This one is a killer James. Nice little assist hook. Available in 7g and a variety of larger sizes and various other colours.
They look great, will check them out. Had heard these ones chip up a bit?

I've got some 6 or 8s. I will photograph them against a coin or something else for reference tomorrow and get back to you James.
If you get some proper Smelts, freeze them up, and I will chuck them at a thirty in Chew come October!
All sorted mate, have gone for the VMC in 8 and 10, will see what they are like.

That's a nice little session James. I love metals fir lots of things and am surely more wrasse would be caught if more people tried them. All my cuckoos have come to metals ( all 3 of them lol)
Totally agree, will see how I get on. These metals are really versatile...... not had a Cuckoo, but hope to at some point. Really living LRF.

Check out the Xesta Bee, which I reported on yesterday. Couple casts, Bass on....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts