The Lure Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i got to my fav mark in the morning and fished the last of the flood and through the start off ebb. not a bite 2nd cast snagged up my new smith lure!!!!
I then sat on the rock i was perched upon about to mourn my loss, rolled a smoke and noticed that the line had slackened off substantially, now prior to this nothing was budging this lure.
There is a god of angling the current was so strong where i was it pulled the lure free and i got it back intact:-D
So off to y wrasse mark and again nothing on hard or soft lures?? OK not to be beaten easily i meandered off to another mark a couple of miles away and fishing into the night though not a sniff anywhere.
It would appear the cold snap has played merry hell with the bass in the old marks on the south coast. Anyone else noticed a sharp drop off in the past 5 days?
Ended the session cold ,wet and glad i went anyway would rather blank that not fish at all. :cry:

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Fair Play Mike for getting out in the cold and giving it a go, Had the same thing happen with lures in the past as well. Worth chilling for a few minutes if the first few heaves don't free your plug.

Reactions: Mike Sullivan

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brilliant tip there dave thanks mate, i thought it was a sheer fluke when it happened will bear it in mind for future snags.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just spent an hour around high near the mouth of an estuary down the road from me. Nothing to be seen, tho I did catch 2 new species - A crab on an Xlayer, really did not want to let it go. Interesting as I was bouncing it along the bottom, not stationary for more than a couple of seconds. Aslo had a mussel, shell clamped firmly onto the Xlayer's hook! Very clear water, but VERY cold. Feet and hands gave up.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Well done on getting out Mike even if you did blank, the snow and ice over here has severely curtailed my fishing. :-( The closest I've got to fishing this week has been watching 'River Monsters' with a cuppa. :-D That slack line trick with snagged lures can be handy alright and saved me a few lures.

Which Smith lure were you using? I did quite well (relatively) with one of those Smith lures this year, the Ultimate Lively Minnow 115. I picked it up cheap when I was away and hadn't really used it much until this year but its now become one of my 'go to' lures and I'm looking to stock up on a few of them before next season. ;-)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like the south coast is devoid of marine life just got back again and nothing happening though i have another mark to fish in the ark should bring any remaining fish in close though it's a bugger to get to in day light let alone the dar.
Dave the lures is a "Saruna saltwater minnow 125mm" Casts like a dream and fishes very well though just no fish to test it out on. Tried it again today and nothing x layers nothing, all other lures nothing.
Maybe i should start saving for my lrf gear sooner than i thought...

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ah it's not just me them mate, though if this wind drops i have a plan for tonite fishing through to midnight ish if i have enough coffee to handle it that is lol shall report how i get one in the morning.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
As you know it was tough over the weekend in Cornwall and I wasnt too surprised the pike fishing on Sunday was tough as well, a sudden drop in temperature is well known to kill off your chances fishing particularly in my experience in fresh water. It was unlucky that this change co-incided with the bumble but thats life!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Unlucky on the blank guys and big kudos for braving the siberian conditions.

Upside must have been that you can't feel the pain of being impaled by a treble or two when your hands are frozen! ;-)

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers matt, down devils and east kings it was defo siberian mate. was going out again tonite but i just couldnt face it so going thusday instead me thinks. :wink:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Well done on getting out Mike, it's bliddy freezing at the moment! I'm going to pop up the Hoe for an hour or 2 tonight and see if any little fishies want to play, not holding high hopes though!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I've not heard of the usual numbers of sizeable pollock coming off places like Eastern Kings this year - last year there were some decent fish showing up regularly.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
too right mate a few have falleen though nothing like last year by this time. Mutton has been trhowing up the usual suspects though mate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts