The Lure Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres a couple of catches we have had on softies in the last couple of trips.

Heres Callum (dumbass) at Bon Nuit with his first cast on his new rod...

and his first fish on his new rod...

A nice little pollock caught on a bloodhead s.w

We also had a couple more at bon nuit between us that night..

Then somebody decided to move the light off the harbor wall, so yesterday we decided to move a couple of miles round the coast to Rozel bay,
we had these and a few more but you get the idea lol.

Tonight was hard work though, cold wind and constant rain and the fish just weren't playing ball.. We had one each in about 3 hours! Ohhh bring on summer!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Yes, well done guys.

We struggled last night too. There where some fish but small mostly and sparse.
It's not always going to be easy LOL

Anyway, you've discovered you don't need the summer to lure fish (I spot a sandeel in there btw, naughty !)
Stick with the plastics guys and learn some more techniques. As other species become more available I'm predicting
some great catches as we all get better at this.

I think last night was the hardest night yet and yet...
fish were still caught. Trust me, I've fished for many years and suffered many blanks even with the freshest bait.

Soft Plastics are kicking ass.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Nice one Ritchie

What sort of retrieve are you finding works best with your side winders ?

Also have you caught any on the pearl ones?

I have so far only had any joy with the green ones

Cheers
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice one Ritchie

What sort of retrieve are you finding works best with your side winders ?

Also have you caught any on the pearl ones?

I have so far only had any joy with the green ones

Cheers
Jeremy
I'm also no eggspert ;) but in my own experience the green seen to always be a winner. We have caught on the all pink, the blood heads and the green and I've been trying the black but I only have them in a larger size.

You should try the xlayers though Jeremy as my bigger pollock have been on them! My mate Steve had one just under 3 at bon nuit on monday! In fact I'll take a pic of what I've been using and you will get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

As for the retrieve... Slow seems to be the key, well for me anyway! Odd twitch and keeping my tip down but like I said I really don't know to much about this as I'm also new to it. Just figured if I put in the hours and try and work out where the fish are when then at some point I was gonna get lucky lol.

Blimey thats a long answer...

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeh nice report, i've just started using the SP and really can't figure out the retrieve. We were down at la collette last night and had one pollack between us. Think i can't get the sensitivity involved with connecting with the SP as you say Ritchie suppose its going to help putting in the hours. Met Paul B and Chris S at la collette last night and those guys are quite something to watch when retrieviving, always seem connected. oh well one day.

·
Registered
324 Posts
yeh me and clive, left early as a bit windy and miserable. I had one bite on the SP and was a bit glum clive had a nice little pollock though, also had a text off the girlfriend saying she had half a chicken curry in the oven. Curry every time. lol.will be out again tonight trying to understand and put into practice what i've read on here.
We saw all you guy's at Bouley Bay the other night, it was me and laura bait fishing by the slipway. May try there tonight with the SP as saw Keith's write up and looked like you all had fun.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You should try the xlayers though Jeremy as my bigger pollock have been on them! My mate Steve had one just under 3 at bon nuit on monday! In fact I'll take a pic of what I've been using and you will get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
Heres what I've been using. Does the black sidewinder come in a smaller size?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Ritchie

On the sidewinder website they have "Sandeel Jet / Fire 4″- 4pkt - 2/0 - 10 gram"
Which I can only assume is the black one only it looks a bit more green on their site ?

They are available for £5.99 from a website PM me if you want the details.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
not wanting to put you off but...

sidewinders, good as they are..

are quite restricted to swimming takes. deadsticked etc they are quite useless.

They also don't give the angler the time to react to softer takes..

You've already noticed that xlayers can catch better fish.

Well, xlayers ARE great but, you don't NEED them. I will always fish them because I have
great confidence in them.

Looking at your soft plastics armoury, most are geared to 1 task.

We'll get you on the road to a few more methods that can enhance your SP fishing.

Mentioned above is the 'need' for contact. We can help you with that too but..
Not all SP presentations use taught line.

Inchy Wacky(new japanese style), Shake it, Drop shot, Free Worm etc actually require controlled slack.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeh cool, will be down there from about 8.30. all advice welcome.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Confidence is nine tenths of the lure

Cheers Keith.

Its mainly because I've never done this before and only been lure fishing about 6 months, I've just been using the gear I'm confident with. The S.winders and Xlayers have thrown the most results so far so as I result I keep going back to them lol.

What do you mean by controlled slack?

Thanks
Ritchie

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
What do you mean by controlled slack?
I'll have to show you really. You can impart more than enough action with the right rigs without actually moving the lure.

Or, Inchy Wacky:

You climb the stairs shaking the jig, or just lift and shake. That might only move the lure 3 or 4ft max.
This sets up the lure as opposed to actually inducing a bite.

Its after the shake I'd expect a take which means it will again, most likely come on the drop.
Still don't know if I can make Bouley tonight but I will show you 1 or 2 retrieves next time out.

Paul has a ton of knowledge too so ask him nicely to show you some line control.
You'll catch more fish plain and simple with practice. Pollack will turn to Bass soon so
get into the programme guys.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I am happy to pass on what I know works. It's not rocket science but some of it is counter-intuitive (I mean it looks weird but works).

It is a shame we haven't had the weather to get the best return from effort put in. When the weather is bad and things are looking dire I usually start trying new lures or experimenting which gives me something to get out of a session, but guys new to SPs persevering like they were last night in a F6 and constant rain deserve a medal. Hang on in there guys.

Cheers

P

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
It's not rocket science but some of it is counter-intuitive (I mean it looks weird but works).
Exactly. Still can't figure why such a high percentage of takes come on the drop ?
Regardless of depth at which it starts to fall.

That is counter to other great methods I have.

Pull and rise plugs when Bass and Wrasse hit a hard lure rising UP ? Deadly sometimes.
The Aussie BREAM guys fish on the drop plastics yet, rising, floating lures ?

Huge conundrum, would love to solve it, or at least discuss it to get a bigger picture.

guys new to SPs persevering like they were last night in a F6 and constant rain deserve a medal. Hang on in there guys.
100% Agree.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts