The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On the boat this morning out of Port Erin again. Myself, Daws and Paul, bit cramped in a Warrior 150 but there you go. We went straight to the Sker - our usual.
Paul fishing with Gulg ragworm, Daws on his usual sand eel and me on the SPs. Paul raced off to a commanding lead with 5 callig, one on each drop. Daws was struggling and I had one 2lb-er on a Sluggo ss alewife. Things went quiet for me after a couple more similar sized ones so I swapped to a 5 inch Senko in a rusty kind of colour, this straightaway took the biggest callig of the day at about 4 1/2 lb - the boat was jumping around with a lively SW swell running at us and I couldn't see the scales very well. EDIT: This was my 1st time out with the 8lb PP so i was buzzing a bit when I got this fella on, esp. when he made a dive for the weeds in 40ft of water. The clutch was screaming and it took a fair old to get him out. Things were hotting up on the sand eel front as the tide peaked, Paul had run out of Gulp but was still doing very nicely on the jelly firetails - he'd taken about 8 so far. Daws and myself were on about 5 each. Things dried up so we moved on to Fleshwick Bay which should be a good spot but as usual, nothing doing!

We made ourway over to the Calf stack where I caught the Ballan mentioned in the Piggy Bank challenge - about 1lb of feistyness - but they all count, and now I was in the lead on the species! A good while on - the tide had turned and it had gone quiet - and Daws took a coalie, damn! he'd levelled the species now!

A great day out - about 23 callig in all, one wrasse and one coalie.

Some pics of the big fella and the Ballan...

Attachments

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Nice one Paul, but what is a callig? You lot and your weird names, youd never get that down here in Jersey, we just fish for flobbers, grasdos, cobos and snipe.

Any pics? Was it your first trip of the year?

I just googled it, a Pollack, nice one.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Paul??????
I've got some photos ****, but I'm at work now and can't upload here. A callig = pollack. we got callig, blockan, haddag, Juan-doos, skeddan etc etc etc Cod were called Harry Boddacks by the old fellas....

That was the 4th trip this year

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What would you have a go at Nige? It'd be a hoot to lure a callig up, or are you on about those sinking type flies? I know naff all about the art!

·
Throbbing Member
3,879 Posts
Depending on the depth of water your in, but wrasse, callig, mackerel etc etc all will take a fly on a fly rod off the rocks, boat etc. Great fun. You can use a small delta or redgill on the fly rod & as the boat drift you don't really need to haul the fly line in until you get a take.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
the colours of the wrass in the 4th picture are deadly....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts