The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After the surprise Halibut at Bodo ferry ramp it was time to head out to Rost.After settling in to our cabins it was time to check the boats out & make sure they were ready for action.The boats are Rocads with 70hp suzuki's on the back, a true match made in heaven.
The fist daytime session was down to the southern grounds.A 30 minute run took us to the first of many underwater
heads.Down went a variety of shads,curly tail grubs etc, within in miutes rods were bent into cod all around.These fish were mostly doubles with the odd 20+. Once the ground was sussed out a bit better the boats started trying different heads,depths etc & it was'nt long before the first 30s started comming up.This was to be the pattern on Cod marks all round the islands for all of the week,the best Cod going 44Lb to Andy.A few small Halibut turned up while Codding & some bigguns smashed us up,one being lost after 30 minutes.
Inbetween our Cod & Coalie sessions we had a few goes for Plaice,Dabs,Wolfies etc.
The first night session came around,this was the time to seriously go for the big Coalies.The head we found them on last year was empty,this left me with a horrible heart sinking feeling, it was light tackle Coalie fishing the boys most wanted. A quick look at the plotter & a check on our drift made up my mind,a head to the north might be holding them,it was more open to the tidal run that Coalies seem to love.Tim & myself shot up there to check it out. Our 1st drop produced a 20Lb Cod & more importantly a 15Lb Coaly.Another drop & both into double figure Coalies, a quick call on the radio got all the boys up to us at varying speeds of flat out.Within minutes all i could here was a mixture whoops & f--k me's! what a buzz & what a relief.
I,d started using my Bulldog, a medium jigging come heavy spinning rod but soon decided on the light gear.Out came my Supermix & boy did i have some fun.All i wanted on it was a 20Lb Coalie so as i could have like a mini slam on the Mix(20Lb Cod, 20Lb Halibut, 20Lb Coaly).Halibut was already done at Bodo, about my 12th Coaly was a 21Lber, next session a 27Lb Cod falls to the Mix, mission accomplished.But the best was yet to come the next Coalfish trip the Mix gives me a pb of 32Lb & what a scrap.
Halibut had been hard work, but while looking at some new ground on the last day we managed to find 3, the biggest falling to Tony at 55Lb.
The travelling was a pain,fishing was off the scale,craic was fierce,week was tooo short.All the boys showed great respect for the sea,the boats & cabins.They were always willing to help each other,whether it be tips,loaning tackle or just a cup of milk.
Thanx from me to all the guys for making it a great trip.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report, stunning pics, stunning trip with a stunning group of guys, all in all F**king Stunning :-D

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Can I come next time ??????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most of the guys on the trip had pb's of there own.Hopefully the ones on the forum will put there own pics & thoughts. There were some other big Coalies & Cod caught by guys on here.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Great shots there Steve, thanks for sharing. Out of interest how does the Halibut fight, try to stay deep?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Simply awesome fishing guys !! Shame we have nothing that comes close to that !! Book me in for the next trip :D

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Wow - hard to know which of those fish to be most jealous of! Well worth the travelling by the looks of things. Well done guys!

·
Registered
2,796 Posts
Fantastic report Steve...I suspect next year might see a lot more Forum members wanting to go...If that's okay by you guys...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi steve.

Can I ask what Braid/Reel setup you were using with your supermix.

I'm off to Norway (somewhere near Tromso) tomorrow and am planning on using my baitrunner on a heavy spinning rod for the coalies with 20 lb braid. Hopefully this will be a strong enough setup but still allow it to be loads of fun.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was using a Shimano Saragosa 5000 with 25Lb braid. You can go fairly light on line if you want as they don't tend to go for snags.The only down side is if you hook into a big Halibut theres not much chance of landing it.

·
6,295 Posts
I was using a Daiwa Saltige Z 4000 with 20lb braid, I must admit it was singing a bit with the big coalies but it handled it fine even with a fairly tight drag. Good luck in Tromso (lucky git wish it was me going back there)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Great trip lads,sounds like it lived up to your expectations looks like you guys will have a plane load of anglers headiing to Rost next year,rods and reels aside what softies were doing the buisness and what weight jig heads were needed to fish them....as for the supermix240 being good for 30lbs plus thats great news for our trip next month to Skerjvoy cant wait for it.................

·
6,295 Posts
I found alot of my fishing was either done with a 50-75g jighead on the mix and when I only needed a lighter lure on the Bulldog, or a 150g when it was rougher, windier or if I was after the cod that were deeper than the coalies. Barry you are going to have a ball mate, fish at night if you can the fish seem bigger in general, but thats not always the case.

These were what Bob used most of the time, and remember I didnt lose a single lure out there, I probably took about 100 variations too and brought them all home!!

http://www.mrfishjersey.com/soft-lures/cormoran/jet-runner-shads.html

The coalies were coughing up herring, so anything herring shape rather than sandeel seemed to pick out the bigger fish.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The 42g savage sandeels caught a lot of Coalies for us, as did the cormoron shads **** was using. Used heads as low as 28g on mother eels & caught decent Coalies. Only trouble with lighter heads is sink speed,the lighter ones take longer to get to the kill zone which reduces how many shots you get at fish per drift. But generally its as **** says 50 to 75g for Coalies, 150g + for Cod.

Reactions: Barry Howlin
1 - 20 of 42 Posts