The Lure Forums banner

A funny thing happened on the way home

756 views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Ben Field 
#1 ·
Stopped off on the way home, a long day meant I was in need of some fishing.
So threw on some extra cloths and grabbed my LRF gear and got started. Almost straight away I missed a good bite-Grrrrrrr. But continued to fish, tight to structure for a couple of casts, and then longer casts straight out, winding down to gain tension, and then held that tension as the lure sunk and swung towards me (OTD?). Keep getting bites tight to structure, really felt like something small was trying to savage the end of the SP I was used-NOT the end with the hook in it sadly.
I decided a change of lure was in order, so I stuck on a Slim Mebura Stickbait I got from Ben at Art of Fishing. Got another really good bite, which I missed-AGAIN!!
But my next cast straight out, tightened down, and held-Then BANG fish on!!! Ok nothing big, but on the end of 0.3PE it was fun, and the contact was great.
But it was a surprise when I lifted this little guy from the water

Yeap I think I have found where the last few micro schoolie bass are hiding in sussex. Got to say there is no hope for me now, LRF just rocks, right up there with a 5lb bass hammering a topwater lure.
Loving the feel, the touch that you get. As you try and get and keep just a little tension with in this case a 0.6g Decoy jighead from Mick at Mrfish. Crazy six months ago I would have laughed at the idea of me fishing soft plastics let along LRF. But happy to admit that I was dead wrong.
Lost a couple of jigheads and Sp-but that means I fished for two and half hours and it cost about £2.50-Talk friendily on the pocket.

See less See more
#3 ·
Jon,
Too late for me, while I was fishing tonight I was swapping between Mebaru and Aji techniques (well trying to anyway!!), and doctoring baits based on what I have read on here and on japanese websites - I got it BAD!!! I blame Mike Hayes and Keith White, it is all their fault. I guess I owe the pair of them a beer or two now.

#5 ·
Yeah,
I know I sound a bit daft, getting excited on a 8oz (maybe if I was lucky) bass Simon, But standing around in the dark, concentrating on what happening at the other end of the braid. While making up new and interesting swear words every time you miss a bite. Really makes each fish feel like a victory.
Get out there Si, and I bet it will your excited report next. Addictive stuff LRF-and I am not kidding.

#9 ·
Thanks Keith,
Was trying to work out how to get the lure to fall straight, and still have enough tension to be able to feel the take, under your feet I can just about do it. But at any distance-No idea. Bite detection through watch the line tension/movement???

Been a while since I have managed a lure caught bass in Sussex, even if is tiny. Good to hear from you Ben, get out fishing much??

#11 ·
Thanks Keith,
I have a feeling that will be something that will require practice. But VERY useful. Light weights and either small paddle tails or curly tails on a slow straight drop would be very useful in a few places I know.

#13 ·
Nice one Dave. It's amazing what will take small soft plastics..extending the season even more??.....:-D:-D

#17 ·
Nice one Dave. Only just caught up on this one. With this cold weather I can see a progression to the LRF stuff happening sooner than expected this year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.