The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, day off so having had a look at Pagham the other day I thought it would be rude not to give it a go.
So hit the beach at 4am this morning, and almost straight hooked up. I will admit loads of cocky thoughts were running through my mind, until a 1 pound Scad slid up the beach!!! The first one I have had this year, and couple of casts later another Scad hit the beach.
Well I fished structure, I fished the current, I fished the seams between current and slack water, and the slack water. Then fished almost all of it again. Zip, Nada, nothing!!! Saw loads of monster Mullet , saw Sea Trout jumping and cruising the shallows. But of the bass, not a hide nor hair!!

Well packed up and headed back towards home, and started to doubt my bass mojo. So stopped of at a local mark on the way home. Got there about 11am, just as it was starting to flood and a quick look showed the water to be pretty clear. So wet wading time, northerly winds helped cover even more water. Which was just as well as the bass were taking at distance. Ended up an hour and half later, having beached 5 bass (2x2.5,2x1.5 and one micro/mini bass). The lure of choice as far as the bass were concerned was the Duo DC12 Terrif in the mat Iwashi.
I have underestimated this lure, casts as well or better than a Feed Shallow, completely different action and runs nice and shallow. A plus is it has a rattle, which I think helps if your using it to search alot of water.
Mojo restored, and just heard the DemonBlood has arrived so will be off to pick it up later.

Oh and any sussex pluggers, Northerlies blowing, so the good times are here again. Get out there as soon as you can. As we all know the northerlies and clear water won't last long!!!

If anyone has any ideas about Pagham, and what I was doing wrong, or not doing-Let me know!!

·
Banned
891 Posts
Hello Dave,

I've only fished Pagham from the Selsey East side, it involves a long walk but when your reach the harbour mouth at dawn.... lots of bassy activity albeit many schoolies... Had the best results with Highs 2 hours after dawn using shallow runners or surface... I think the Patch 100 will kill down there.... did you make it to the harbour from pagham side?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Robert,
Fished a high at dawn from the Pagham side, but covered all of the channel. Shallow runners, smaller topwaters. Just one of those days, saw plenty of surface activity-Mullet.
Looks good, so will try it again on the tides you surgest.
Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts