The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning guys,

Just a quick report on last nights unplanned trip to Bonne Nuit harbour last night. The wind which had been blowing up to a F5 again today (grrr.) seemed to be dropping off. A last minute decision to try my luck was taken, and I arrived at the harbour at 8pm. To my surprise, My good friends Side & Winder (Callum & Ritchie) were already there getting set up in the carpark. Looking over the harbour wall it was obvious that the silt was still hanging in the water (about 4ft vis) and that there wasn't a great deal of water there (8ft maybe, well it was only about 1 1/2 hrs after low). Keith then turned up, making a nice little party of four.

Anyway, lady luck must have been sitting on my shoulders (I know because my backs aching this morning lol), because first cast on my Cormaran ULX and a feisty little pollock took my little white trout bait grub rigged carolina with a 2gm split shot.

Keith, Ritchie and Callum, had all put egis on their rods as it was probable that Ikas were still causing chaos down there and it wasn't long before Ritchie managed his second Ika in two days (Nice one mate).

I thought about swapping to egis at this time but decided to carry on with my little trout baits on a size 8 carp hook. It wasn't long before pollack number 2 was leading me a merry dance across the surface. Was this really me, the serial blanker of the last few weeks. Callum then caught a couple more, but my grub seemed to have lost their interest. So I threaded on a cut down tiny xlayer for a few casts and sure enough the bites returned again. Another swap, trout bait again but this time bubblegum pink and this was definitely what they wanted, pollock number 3,4 &5 came in fairly quick succession, wow, was this really me! Ritchie in the meantime had also has a pollock on a small red worm. I gave him one of the pink ones I was using and bang, Ritchies rod was off immediately, and after a few good runs, the best pollock of the night was brought in for its picture to be taken. I think it gave him a surprise just how well it fought on his little rookie.

After this the fish were playing even harder to get and it was only when I started headhooking the little sps that the bites started coming again and i was fortunate enough to end up with the great tally of eight!!! (thats a months worth for me normally lol.)

Fair play to Keith, he stuck with his eging rod for the whole evening, practising different techniques that will pay dividends soon. I decided to stay on a bit longer after Keith and Ritchie had left, just in case I could get to double figures, but there were no more bites over the next 45 minutes.

Amusingly, no sooner had Keith left an Ika decided to swim right through the patch he'd been working all night. I was also joined by a sandeel (about 5") swimming away happily of the surface for about half an hour, and then out of the gloom and into the harbour light swum two mullet (approx 4-5lb each) for a quick look around before dissapearing back into the night.

Another truely magical evening spent in great company.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Brilliant report Gary! Really well done catching so many! They love the pink don't they! Good work!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ben, I'm loving every minute. This type of fishing has opened up my eyes completely.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hi Gary

I must have got there after you all cleared off I was there 00:45 - 02:30 was having way to much fun. I tried the pink trout bait on a size 10 carolina rigged with a 2.3g barrel weight but with the water so far down and I was targeting a group right under my feet I had no feel at all so did not persevere too long. Good to know that they work though.

I caught 4 on 3" sluggos see catch report

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Superb report Gary, I felt as if I was there with you. That session seems to have kick started your season, lets hope you can keep it up.

ps, where are the pics ?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Thanks Ben, I'm loving every minute. This type of fishing has opened up my eyes completely.
I think it will help peoples bass fishing a LOT as well. I was never cinfinent fishing just a gramme or two for bass, since it was so light. Now though it feels pretty normal and will be really useful having that confidence at times.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Gary

I must have got there after you all cleared off I was there 00:45 - 02:30 was having way to much fun. I tried the pink trout bait on a size 10 carolina rigged with a 2.3g barrel weight but with the water so far down and I was targeting a group right under my feet I had no feel at all so did not persevere too long. Good to know that they work though.

I caught 4 on 3" sluggos see catch report
Hi Jeremy, I was there from 8 to about 00:30, we must have just missed eachother. I'm suprised we didn't see eachothers cars passing on the hill (I thought Keith & Kevin had the only stealth cars on the island lol).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Superb report Gary, I felt as if I was there with you. That session seems to have kick started your season, lets hope you can keep it up.

ps, where are the pics ?
The pics are in Keiths camera Steve. I'm sure it won't be long before he adds his report.

·
Registered
324 Posts
nice one gary, think I'm going to pack a jig. may go and do a spot of low water plugging tonight. see you out soon.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Sorry for the delay guys.
Been real busy the last few days and blowing the stealth car up hasn't helped the cause.
Been out scouting a few marks to watch the water. I have a nice one for Friday (Side and Winder) High down to 2 up so pack food and drink.

Anyway, Gary A fished his socks off last night. Fair play to him really.

I missed an Ika early on and decided to stick with it. I'll do this once a week from now to check tidal turn up times and also to try to pin down the arrival of the Cuttlefish.

Ritchie (Side) did have a nice Squid and a few nice Pollack as did Callum (Winder). The night belonged to Gary A though. Fine display of LRF indeed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ritchie, love the new profile pic and is that a new set of waders?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Great report Gary !! Well done for getting in amongst the fish !!

Great to meet you and your family the other night too !! :D

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You guys are really getting things sorted out there. Really buzzing.

And I love the new nicknames 'Side' and 'Winder'!!!! Excellent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts