The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went fishing at the weekend to a North Cornish mark which I noticed a few years ago when I had a small fishing boat. After a good hike down the cliff I stood above the spot I wanted to fish. There was a big sea running and it looked a bit dodgy with the wet rocks in front of me which I had to negotiate before getting to the spot. I nearly turned away to find a quieter safer spot to fish. But the sea looked so fishy with rocks all around and deeper white water close in. I went down on my bum and skidded over the rocks like ice, over a ledge, and I was luckily stopped by a rock in front of me from going into the water. I was shaken and bleeding from a hand cut which looked a lot worse than it was. I thought Im here now lets have a rest and see how I feel in a few minutes.
I set up my rod and put on a 145 duo tide minnow, and started fishing high up on my rocky perch. There were seals around, 3 porpoised right below me, on a mission by the looks of things. I carried on fishing and "wham" my reeled screamed as something hit my lure and didnt stop, it was taking lie very quickily so I put my finger on the spool to try and slow it down. After a few seconds it briefly paused then screamed off again and seemed to dive behind a rock, "gone". I wasn`nt surprised. I set up with a new lure and carried on casting takeing the odd drenching from the odd bigger swells crashing up the rocks. About half an hour later just after high water a bigger wave came towards me I crouched down behind a rock and held on , the wave came over the top of me, turned me side ways, i was soaking, pockets full of water holding on to my rod I thought lets get out of here. I looked down to the water and saw my Bergaus rucksack floating out to sea with my camera about 15 lures my phone and other fishiny equipment.

Lesson learned:- Think I will wait for a dry calmer day before I go back to that spot.

The Question is after all that...Has anyone ever hooked a seal on a lure?

·
Registered
741 Posts
Bad luck on losing your gear Ray but could have been much worse!

Apart from not fishing when its too rough the other lesson is its never a good idea to fish those kind of marks on your own, regardless of the sea conditions. I did my ankle in on a mark up that way once, was on my own but thankfully was able to use phone to get help to drag me back up the cliff. Lesson learned the hard way!

Not hooked a seal on a lure yet but there are certain marks around Cornwall where the resident seals can make landing a hooked fish in one piece a bit of a lottery!

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
You were a very lucky man to get away with that 1 surprising how powerful the waves are on the north coast as apposed to the south coast swells that i am used to Dont think i ever hooked a seal though Could be fun

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Very unlucky m8 and that is big of you to share it with us.

You've some way to go before you catch up with drowned electronics though. I've mastered it.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Gutted Ray. I'm sure we've all lost phones, lures of boxes at some point, but yours is a proper haul!

I did have a seal once take a mackerel while retrieving. I think he hooked himself up as well though because try as might, the 10lb mono I was using at the time just stretched and stretched and stretched. He must have gone about 100yds before getting around a rock. Great watching him in the water before I hooked him though. So agile!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I realise I should`nt go to marks like that on my own but I cant help myself!

I love it!
I know just how you feel - I love that sense of being on the edge, waves crashing all around salt crusting on your face - it makes you feel so alive (until you drown of course). You got balls to pick yourself up and start fishing after the big slip. I,d have probably backed out at that point!
Loved reading your tale, did you try casting a lure at the Berghaus?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To be honest David I did`nt even thinkabout it at the time... On reflection even if I did hook my backpack with the Megabass Zonk I had on at the time,the swell was too big and there was no way I was going down the rocks any further. The only way was up for me!

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
At least you got away with the Zonk to start the new collection. Shame you are so far away from me - that mark sounds red hot! Id definitely buddy with you on that one.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
glad you lived to tell the tale ray ...we must be vigilant at all times .

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Ray, I don't want to rub more salt into the wounds (xcuse the pun :-D!) but was just wondering if you ever wear some kind of lifejacket/floatation device when fishing? I got one afer my beloved saw a vid that a mate took of me swimming for a plug & I often fish on my own.................

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Close call mate! Bass fishing seems to push people to the limit and it's easy to find yourself getting a bit closer when you probably shouldn't.

Toby, good idea! See the Japanese Bass fishers tend to wear them a lot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all your advice. Think I will have a look to see what boyancys aids are on the market. Ive got a flotation suit but dont where it in warm weather.

The Question is, has anyone ever hooked a seal on a plug? I am just wondering what it was I hooked? Was it a big Bass or huge pollack or a seal?

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Been thinking about life jacket myself. When you have kids life changes, You do seem to bottle it a bit more. But that whole Bass monster takes over; and before you know it - its just you the sea and I hate to say it nothing else but catching fish going on between the ears. Trouble is I want something that doesn't get in the way of my sling bag (might have to change for something else possibly). Actually Im going to start a new thread - sorry- jumping ship....

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Been thinking about life jacket myself. When you have kids life changes, You do seem to bottle it a bit more. But that whole Bass monster takes over: and before you know it - its just you the sea and I hate to say it (because it sounds so shallow) nothing else but catching fish going on between the ears. Trouble is I want something that doesn't get in the way of my sling bag (might have to change for something else possibly). Actually Im going to start a new thread - sorry- jumping ship....

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I would have thought a seal would be too clever to take a plug. I have not heard of anyone actually hooking one directly on a plug, only cases of seals taking hooked fish. So unless you foulhooked one, it could have been a lunker Bass?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts