The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went on a quick boat trip with a friend of mine, Francisco Pavia.
We fished zones with lots of structure, using mainly softbaits texas rigged or with a jighead.
Because of the "danger" of expecting some meagres messing around inside the structure (pilars) I used a Shimano Speedmaster AX light jigging & jerking rod. It gave me more control if a big fish showed up, still it had enough sensibility to fish with 10 gram jigheads.
Using a slow retrieve and a some bottom bouncing twitches with a 10 gram jighead + a pink 6" Slug-Go I got a strike that didn't connect. Stop the lure and another failed strike, then after 5 or 6 seconds and a twitch with the rod tip a third strike that finally connected.

The result was a nice seabass, after the photo it was quickly released to fight another day.
The fight was pretty good, short but intense since the bass was inside a maze of mussel laden pilars :)

Cheers from Portugal!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Thanks for the report.

It's interesting that you went 10g. What depth was you fishing ?
What braid strength ?

6" sluggo must weight what ? 8 grams maybe ? so combined with the 10g head you have quite some casting weight. over 1/2 ounce.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the report.
Thanks for the report.

It's interesting that you went 10g. What depth was you fishing ?
What braid strength ?

6" sluggo must weight what ? 8 grams maybe ? so combined with the 10g head you have quite some casting weight. over 1/2 ounce.
I was fishing in about a 5 meter depth.
I had to go "heavy", the AX Speedmaster isnt a good rod for light jigheads, even less weightless softbaits, it's very hard to fish effectively with anything under 10 gram (even with the added softbait weight).

I was casting 5 meter max (againts the structure), it was almost pure vertical fishing.

As for the line, I was using 15 pound Power Pro + 0.33 mm (15 pound I think) Seaguar AbrazX fluorocarbon leader.

For that kind of fishing I have my Gloomis ;)

Cheers Keith!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts