The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally have broken the back of getting a half decent Bass to the Lure ( previous catches being very small school bass)!

After a few weeks of hitting the wrasse on SP's and doing ok, slowly starting sussing a few techs out, and trying diff marks, me and M8 Kev decided to hit some current last night. 9.30 - 2am.

Got there just before dark and had a look about, playing with a shad on jig head and hit into a nice wrasse , fair bit of swell there and lost the wrasse on the surface - lost the shad few casts later and changed to xlayer, was now dark , carried on same spot for about 45 mins, trying to get hang of fishing lure in dark - kev had moved of down towards the current so headed down in same way - first cast with into current , just tighted up the slack and and bounced it , felt a bite, bit of a scrap and landed 2.5lb Bass - was well happy as for me its been a long long time coming and to have it at night was even better.

started playing with the "burn and kill" retrieve that read about on here , few casts later hooked into a nice fish , to loose it a few seconds later , few more casts hit into a nicer fish , and given my inexperience of catching much , dropped the rod tip not thinking and off it went after 30 sec fight.

The next one is imprinted on my mind big time , hooked into a very nice fish , great fight for a cple of mins , got it to just below my feet , swell rushing in and out, trying to hold rod up and lift fish of ledge , swell took the fish as I had hold of the braid , snagged on rocks, off it went flapping on the surface, almost wanted to jump in after it - at a guess and most prob under I reckon was 7LB (+) - absolutley gutted lost that fish but is all experience and newish to me . - carried on for a bout another hour few more bites but no hook ups.

Kev hooked into a decent fish but on a lighter rod and it took him into the run, he near got it to feet but lost it. - gutted also as would of been his 1st night time bass too.

For me it was the most exciting time fishing ever, even if only landed one, to catch in the dark on lures is a mad sensation as more in tune with senses (is going to take a lot to get used to).

Few things learnt from it :

Strike into a fish to set hook proper, dont drop rod and give slack - and if ever hook into a nice fish and are with someone else, let them know as they might be able to help you - I let Kev know to late as was going to surpise him with it, but then realised I was going to struggle so called him and he got there just as it snagged to see it flapping away across the surface.

learn to tie and then use a decent leader as might help in not loosing fish

Fishing with Sp's is great but is going to be a fair time learning, still lost a fair few jig heads and lures last night, but I'm fishing rougher ground than I ever would of thought of doing before

Have had a fair few tips from reading on here - and some via Pm - cheers m8 :) with that and a lot of effort and getting out there trying its switched on for me at last!

Mrs is away for the weekend so off out again tonight as late nights dont come often for me!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great report Dave and well done, your season will get better and better :-D

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well done...

Night lure fishing eh ?

Who would have thought it possible after our discussions ?

I think you've done really well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts