The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well gents, i got back home about 1:30am this morning, but was back up at 5:30am to get a train to London for a meeting, so am only now catching-up.

So, my last minute decision to head across to Jersey - i think it worked out pretty well !! I gave **** a call around Thursday last week, and asked him what he rekoned about the forecast (which was looking pretty nasty to me :p) . . and when he asked me if i could get my money back on my booking, i must admit i thought i'd made a bad decision . . . . . but happily, as ever, the weather forecasters didnt have a clue !! :mrgreen: Rain was forecast for the whole weekend, and in reality - not a drop fell for the whole time i was there !! Happy days :-D :-D

I arrived at the Port in Weymouth on Saturday morning (pretty sure i saw Spitty in the car-park outside the Port ?), and the swell was not great. 3 full sick-bags later, and we had landed in Jersey. I quickly checked-in, and then it was off to ****'s shop. I was greated by Bob, Doug, The Squid, **** & Nicola, and Nelson also put in a guest appearance (& WTF was the guy asking for maggots all about ???? Wild fancy dress outfit !! ). I ahem . . . cough . . . ahem . . . . . acquired a few shiny items in there over the next two hours, then it was off to have a bit of grub. The next day, i hit 3 different marks around the island with Lyn & Luke. The weather was glorious (a bit windy, but beautiful sunshine), and although i blanked, we had a cracking day exploring the island.

The next morning, something happened which 'apparently' doesnt happen that often . . . . . **** was up before dawn to come fishing !! So ****, Nicola, Tony (tonyg off here) & i met at one of ****'s marks for a dawn raid. I was using the Injection, and a selection of 'small' hard lures, & s/p's. About an hour into the session, Tony came to join me on a rock outcrop that had two nice gulleys either side that were filling. Tony was fishing on one side, and i was fishing the other . . .then, the words i was waiting to hear . . .a cry of "FISH" from Tony behind me . . . . . a very tidy Bass had nailed his Ayu Xlayer about 6' from his feet !! Tony manged to guide it to the edge of the rocks, where i was waiting with the Boga . . . . . here's Tony with his bar of silver . . . .

It weighed-in at 3lb 11oz

The fish was quickly released after the pics, Tony & I had a high-five, and then i promptly switched back to the Xlayer i'd been using about 30mins earlier. 2nd cast with a Wagasaki Xlayer, and everything went tight - i'd been swinging the s/p around in the current infront of me, and giving it the odd twitch (7g Darter Jig Head), when i broke my s/p cherry !!!!!!

I must admit to getting stupidly excited, and was whooping & shouting as the fish came in (with another similar sized fish right next to it btw) . . . .

The fish went around 3lb, and was quickly released . . . .

We had a few more casts, but we were getting pushed back by the tide, and frankly, were very pleased with our mornings work - so i was back in the hotel in time for breakfast !! Woooo hooooooo !!

Then, by late morning i had met up with the black-ops Special Forces on the other side of the Island. In attendance were: Keith, Kevin, Ritchie, Callum, Jay, Jeremy, Liam, Paul & me (i think i got everyone there ?). We set off to a very rocky remote mark with a multitude of potential targets. First target was Wrasse. It wasnt hard to see why the Pigs may have been at this spot as the huge boulders & deep gulleys are Wrasse-city !! It was to be a tough session though. Apart from both Keith & Kevin getting stuffed by Wrasse that took them to ground - the bend in Kevins rod as the fish took his s/p into a hole as he was being distracted by JP was a classic !!! It was bent over like a question-mark. So it was a pretty impressive blankety-blank.

But, not to be put-off, when i arrived at the Harbour up on the North Coast that evening, there must've been another 6 or 8 guys (and gals) there again. As i got there Keith was just landing a Pollack, and Luke & I joined in. The LRF gear really is something else - the Injection really did feel like a broomstick next to the out-&-out LRF gear. Luke had a blast fighting this Pollack (thank you Kevin :D) . . .

I then had a frustrating half an hour trying to land a Squid. I hooked a nice one, and fought him for around 10secs before he got off. But it just wasnt to be.

So that's it, If you made it this far through the report & are still awake - well done !!! I had a wonderful trip - it's a beautiful island, & i cant wait to get back over there again. The hospitality from the guys over there was nothing short of first-class, and i thoroughly enjoyed meeting & getting the opportunity to fish with you all.

See you all again soon.

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Si, sounds like a great weekend, plenty of species being caught by everyone. Def a friendly bunch over there, great shot of luke btw! Always a pleasure to visit the islands.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Stunning report Si, nice looking fish in the Pics, Glad you went now eh, and worth the full sick bag !!! Time to attack our marks this weekend with the promise of some calm and clear weather forecast ( let's hope they are right this time )

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well done Simon, i was at the same spot 2 days before & did'nt catch.Hopefully catch up with you next time your over.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
nice report si,sounds like your family had a crackin little break.....nice fish mate...looks lovely there,cheers daz

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
It was a pleasure seeing you again Simon and of course Luke is now one of the boys in the shop, Nicola loves him, she cant stop saying what a great little bloke he is, a credit to you mate. Seeing a couple of bass monday morning was a bonus, I thought it looked promising and you and Tony found the best spot at that mark without a doubt, my PB shore lure caught bass comes from there of just under 7lb. Its a great start to your season, well done on the SP virginity, the season awaits you bud.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well done, Si - a couple of your personal ducks broken there then! Weather looks good this wekeend but water still very cold....

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Well done Simon, cracking report and really well done with the bass, an early bass like that is great. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it so much.

Just a couple of points to pick up on from your report.

1. No matter what the weather forecast says, it never rains in Jersey:lol:

2. You said **** was up before dawn. We know he uses a stunt double for the early stuff.:rofl:

3. If our LRF gear gets any lighter, the injection will soon be reclassified as a medium conger rod. :bangin:

Best wishes to you all, I'm sure you'll be back soon

Gary

·
Registered
779 Posts
Well done indeed - might well have been me down the port (should have said hello matey) - wish Id jumped the ferry with you guys as the fishin was carp in Dorset

Very impressed with those bass!! - nice one guys

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Si thats a great report mate and it was good to put a face to a name! Nice pictures of your silver there. **** isn't a shore fisherman so you must be mistaken lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
nice report Si, glad to here you had a great time when you were over. As Ritchie said its nice to put a name to the face. I was the quiet one blanking on the top wall at Bonne Nuit, well at least i didn't snap a rod that night, lol. hope to see you all over again.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Great report Si. Looks like you all had a great time. The bend in Luke's rod looks like fun. More rods to buy now?

·
Registered
324 Posts
oh just remebered I did catch, think it was just under 1/4 pound pollock, get in!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts