The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Martin Cabot and I were out at the start of the day to be faced with a freezing wind screaming around the headlands. Basically, from the first drop in, we had bites...

About 1 1/2 hours into the trip and a bunch of SP fragments floating away....

I was in....

Whoa...good fish !

Marting was way away over across the gutter but he could see the rod buckle and probably heard the bail arm go on my Shimano as I had to pull the fish out of seriously heavy cover...
The fish was landed but with some serious cursing as I had to make sure the broken bail arm didn't cost me the fish. It felt very heavy and the 7ft bushwacker was dealing with this task extremely well I might add.

Weighed in at 4lb 6oz. Solid, heavy, brave and bold fight. I handled the fish with all the respect it deserved and photographed and weighed it quickly.

Martin came over and within a few minutes....
No longer a HRF virgin...

Martin with his first HRF Wrasse. Not his last I'll bet. It's seriously addictive.

Then, after a 50 meter move, I was in again...

Just tipped 2 3/4lb this one. Ayu xlayer again.

We made a move and Tom Phillips joined us. He was trying the Jackson CYMO 5g vib bait.
Snipe on !

Followed by a few Pollack. OTD after a quick vib blast just like the Snipe.

I tried a metal fish faster OTD in the gin clear deep water. The sun was so high by now the rockfish were well off to sleep I reckon. However, we missed collectively over 50 bites and a small hand sized Bream was seen as it ripped the back of reins bait off an Illex head before it darted back under it's ledge. I used 2 pkt's of small SP's today and they were destroyed very quickly and efficiently.

Another good session overall.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Sounds like a cracking session chaps, well done. I can see the Wrasse comp target being upped soon I reckon.

I'm loving this Wrassing, the future is red/orange/brown/green/with blue spots!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Hrf

Great report and thats a chunky wrasse you got there Keith, nice one mate! I was round the corner from you guys (I know that because I could hear Keith ;) ) and FINALLY got the colour wrasse I've been hoping for!! I was made up! I horsed this bitch in ;) I also had a bucket full of bites and a handful of follows but only one take! Good fun still. I'm off out again tomorrow to get a biggen!! i hope lol

Attachments

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Here's Ritchie with one of several pollack taken yesterday evening. Catches on fast apart from the camouflage clothing...

Note the headlight around the neck. Very Tokyo Bay. Who's been reading Seabass Japan then?!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, we have to convert those bites.
Do we risk a barbless stinger ? It's a dilemma because a few Wrasse have eaten the lure right down to the jighead.
Or, do we drop shot smaller lures on tough but smaller gear ?

Nice Wrasse Ritchie. Matches the Jacket m8.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
hhaha cheers for the picture Paul (hows the boat running by the way lol). I think the stinger will become an issue to be honest mate! We will be risking damaging a 30 year old + fish! I reckon when we are getting the bites we should drop the lure size right down?

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Barbless single hook stinger I reckon. Something similar works on the boat (running fine thanks Ritchie - going to take it to wrasse city soon LOL).

·
Registered
218 Posts
I am envious, soon I will figure out where to go to catch one of these things, I have yet to catch a fish in daylight in Jersey, but then I did only start fishing this January

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
6,295 Posts
Well done Martin and all of you, you been having some fun on that sw corner.

We popped down the harbour last night for a couple of hurs. Gary had a pollack straight away on an Xlayer tail on a carolina

Then Nicola had a pollack on the ULX with a 4g jighead and ball tail, Doug helped her pull it up the wall;

What is it with her and Richie and these LRF chav red tops?

Me and Mike managed to get some bites but yet again proved how crap we are!! It was good fun and learnt a bit, the tiny bites were annoying and working out how the fish in a strong cross wind.....lots to learn!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Not purple slayers?
There are some amoung 'em, but I had the 2 the other night on Wakasagi. Got a few others to try out as well when they get here, think you might be right about using smaller lures missed a ton of bites on wed leaving me with plenty of chunks taken out of the lure.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one all! Nice fish coming out all over the place now!!

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
****. Why the Injection ? You have an LRF rod don't you ?

That new Varivas Violente 0.4 -8g is perfect in balance with the new Rarenium 2500. In fact, it's awesome.

Buy one.

Well done on your first LRF fish Nicola.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts