The Lure Forums banner

A nice pair

926 views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Ben Field 
#1 ·
I went out this morning and hit an estuary mark just before first light. With a full moon, I managed to set up without the headtorch. Low water was an hour and a bit away but I worked my way along the bank with nothing happening except the splash of some mullet. Day had just about fully arrived when I had a solid take on my baby Sasuke, a dour and heavy fight in the strong current resulted in a fish that would be 4lb in the pub but in reality was just shy of that weight.

However, as soon as I beached the fish it began bleeding profusely from the gills. I got him upright in the shallows but he didnt seem to have the will to swim away. After about 5 minutes of coaxing he was still turning belly up so I regretfully knocked him on the head. I cleaned him up for the photo. This is only the second fish I have taken this year (and I do like them to eat!) but I didnt see the point of returning him if he wasnt going to survive. Why is it that some bass bleed so much without any obvious cause? The fight wasnt long or arduous!

Mixed feelings - happy I caught a fish but saddened to have to despatch him.

Fished on and about half an hour later the same Sasuke was hit like an express train and damn near took the rod from my hands! My initial thoughts was I had a really good fish and it shot off taking line but quite quickly I realised I had a very spirited fish of a similiar size to the first one. The fight was very good and he certainly punched well above his weight but this time I was able to release him without a problem.

Its curious why some fish bleed on capture and some dont and why some fish fight like stink! The second fish was a few ounces lighter than the first but fought way better.

My regular Sunday morning tennis was calling and I had to pack up. Two nice fish in a few hours and I even won the tennis! Not a bad day so far!

See less See more
#2 ·
A lovely brace there Andrew. You did the right thing keeping her if she was bleeding. Not sure why the gills would bleed if the hooks had stayed clear?

What colour Sasuke 105 is that?

#4 ·
Hi Nick, she had taken the Sasuke right down but being only 7.5 cm even right down the hooks were still clear of the gills. It does have a very nice action for a (very!) small lure. The colour is blue/silver.

#6 ·
Nick. These came from basslures.co.uk. I have quite got into some of these small lures. Although we are at the time of year that bigger lures come into their own, sometimes when the bass just dont seem to want to play, they will have a go at one of these small lures. The Guru that is Dave Irving put me onto them!

#9 ·
Andrew,
Looks like you found the decent bass you have been looking for, a couple of nice bass there (and a lovely dinner as well). Sounds like you got a good fight out of them as well.
Small lures have rocked for me this year. The Sasuke 75 is a stunner in the water and casts surprisingly well for it's weight. The other micro monster catcher has been the Asura.

Well done Andrew, catch up with you at the sussex meet if not before.

#16 ·
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Well done Andrew, really enjoyed reading your report and a couple of cracking fish. Despatching the odd fish is inevitable when some fish just inhale lures or worse get caught on stray trebles while landing them. On the upside we get to research and practice a whole new area of kit; I've already ordered a new Tefal Red pan to go with my Certate spatula and Orvis are doing some lovely aprons right now and dont get me started on Japanese Garlic presses ;->[/FONT]

#17 ·
[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Well done Andrew, really enjoyed reading your report and a couple of cracking fish. Despatching the odd fish is inevitable when some fish just inhale lures or worse get caught on stray trebles while landing them. On the upside we get to research and practice a whole new area of kit; I've already ordered a new Tefal Red pan to go with my Certate spatula and Orvis are doing some lovely aprons right now and dont get me started on Japanese Garlic presses ;->[/FONT]
LOL - ROTFL

#18 ·
Like you Andrew I felt bad when I had to dispatch 2 bass last weekend that had taken the plugs deep down, 1 of them was bleeding quite heavily. It put a bit of a downer on catching them. Don't know why as before I got into plugging I never gave taking fish for the table a second thought. I think that its got something to do with seeing them flick their tails & swim away when you release them, blooming magic that is for me. Bass after all are majestic fish.

Mind you they taste lovely when you do take the odd one home & cook it yourself :))

#19 ·
Damn!!! A whole new load of stuff to order! More deliveries to hide from the wife -'its just a back order love from an old order'!

#21 ·
'its just a back order love from an old order'!
:muttley: I can't use that one any more. People keep coming in to the shop and letting on to Jo that's what they tell their wives. I used to use it about once a week! She know's the truth now!!!! :-(

Well done on the fish mate! Seems like things have picked up a lot for you this year. Good to see so many properly progressing now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.