The Lure Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a couple of hours in the yak today to get the plastic piggy challenge started.

Not a monster but it's a start. The avons were bouncing about a bit in the swell but the mid point was 4lb 1oz.

Bit tricky getting a pic on the yak!

Oh, it took a Storm crawfish SP.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yesssssss!! Good work Dicky!!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Nice work there, Dicky. Pretty good pic too! Self-timer? Honestly, good wrasse in winter on soft plastics - amazing stuff and I can't wait to see how many you guys can catch and how big they will get....

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
well done m8.

we tried here, almost, almost impossible and quite dangerous at times.

1 guy who isn't in the challenge had a Wrasse of 4lb - 4oz. Hopefully I'll get the photo's sent on to me.

Is you fish and soft plastic photo in the challenge thread ?

looks like you streaked off to an early lead..

did your Wrasse say "Cuckoo"..

LOL

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can we get some details on the technique, line, jig weight, etc

Thanks..
I used a Storm Hot Craw Tube with a 6g olive weight inside the SP and a 3/0 partridge catfish hook (short shank so it sits inside the tube with the bend sitting nicely at the head). This allows the SP to slide up the line when playing the wrasse so they don't chomp the bait to bits. Worked a treat as I had 4 on one SP before I lost it.
I've upped the braid to 9.8Kg, to cut down on tackle loss as much as anything.

The technique I've stumbled upon is to drift with my drogue fixed about level with my seat. This makes the yak drift sideways on nice and slow even if it's windy.
I literally bounce the SP on the bottom 'upwind' of the yak. The yak passing over them doesn't seem to bother them (maybe just the 6lb 'ers!)

With the 6g olive the weight is just right to skip it over the top of kelp etc.

How I have explained this properly, I'm not very articulate!

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
You guys really have some brilliant fishing out there!!! Well done for getting that one out. Hopefully you aren't spooking the 6 pounders and they will continue getting bigger and better.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
I used a Storm Hot Craw Tube with a 6g olive weight inside the SP and a 3/0 partridge catfish hook (short shank so it sits inside the tube with the bend sitting nicely at the head). This allows the SP to slide up the line when playing the wrasse so they don't chomp the bait to bits. Worked a treat as I had 4 on one SP before I lost it.
I've upped the braid to 9.8Kg, to cut down on tackle loss as much as anything.

The technique I've stumbled upon is to drift with my drogue fixed about level with my seat. This makes the yak drift sideways on nice and slow even if it's windy.
I literally bounce the SP on the bottom 'upwind' of the yak. The yak passing over them doesn't seem to bother them (maybe just the 6lb 'ers!)

With the 6g olive the weight is just right to skip it over the top of kelp etc.

How I have explained this properly, I'm not very articulate!
Yep, that's the stuff m8.

However:

Cant quite visualise...

I used a Storm Hot Craw Tube with a 6g olive weight inside the SP and a 3/0 partridge catfish hook (short shank so it sits inside the tube with the bend sitting nicely at the head). This allows the SP to slide up the line
I amongst others will be keen to get in on winning SP rigging and craws are awkward sometimes.

Could you post a storm craw rigging photo tutorial ?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
No problem!

Here is the short fluoro trace with 6g olive and 3/0 hook.

And here it is all snugged up with the olive in the body.

I guess it could be made weedless by impaling a claw on the hook.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts