The Lure Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
CoFounder & Retired Admin
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several successful sessions with the LRF gear, Dave and Mike arranged to meet up and spend the evening with the lighter stuff. Still learning with the available methods and available tackle. Im sure Dave and Mike will post their own findings but one thing is for sure, that it is fun and its lure fishing with some great variations. Have added some pictures of a few of the species we had.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Nice one guys! Good to see multiple species! With it being a bit rough around here today I'm really tempted to head south with the light gear, and you could have just tempted me!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Hi Guys,
Have to let everyone know Mr Hayes totally out fished me by at least 5 or 6 (probably more) to 1. Have to say a huge thank you for the advice, tips, the marks. Oh and the loan of a rod (Cormaran ULX-very nice bit of kit for the money)
I popped down to Weymouth this weekend, and while the bass proved impossible to find, the LRF urban style proved to be great fun. Tons of takes, that feel awesome on the ULX, and plenty of fish caught-I think we managed six species between us (the lion share be caught by Mike Hayes-you can tell he is really getting to grips with LRF).
I have to admit that while there are bass to chased, that is probably where I will be, But LRF is a brilliant way to fish.

Lessons learnt,
The new jigheads matched to Aji Reins baits seem to drive the fish wild-looked so good in the water, even I fancied eating it.
Swinging the lures in, stay IN CONTACT or you will miss the bite.
Pout all near the bottom, Whitting in mid water, Pollack near structure.
Even my £1.50 curly tailed grubs (2") caught, but missed masses and masses and masses of bites. So while they were great to have a go with-and the fish seem to like them. The right baits will up your catch rate MASSIVELY.
Memories of the sessions,
A pollack that probably didn't even go 1lb, scraping surprisingly well on LRF gear!!
Catching the creature from the black lagoon (well Weymouth) a Short Shined Sea Scorpian (I think???)
Telling Mike Hayes he was hooked up-We watched a good pollack chasing his lure around-So even on LRF don't exspect to feel all the takes.
6 foot rods are really handy when you are fishing literally two foot in front of your feet.

I have to admit that I think there might be a new LRF outfit winging it's way to mine for Christmas-LRF is too much fun to miss out on.

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
great.

LRF is it's own thing guys but so much can be taken into your Bass fishing from it.
You are already seeing multi species preferences and this will only become more clear as you continue.

This will make you understand 'predatory' fish more clearly I think.

Isn't getting bites so great. not like most Bass fishing at all eh ? LOL

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Does make you think about what an aggressive little predator something like a 5" Pout or Whiting really is. When you use the right gear the bites are savage.
Funny how differing types of lure (curly tail grub, thin straight etc) seems to have slightly different appeal to different species, as does depth, vibration and the speed the lure is moving.
All great when the fish are really "ON", but if they are feeling fussy, then there are dozens (or more) of things to try and tempt them. More variation possible with tackle that fits in your pocket, than is probably possible with all the plugs out there.
Some of the best "fun" fishing I have ever done has been while catching bait-be it bonito for marlin baits, or small mullet for tarpon. This just proves that the size of the fish your trying to catch isn't really important. Urban LRF rocks!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
nice one guys! what jighead is dave using in that picture it looks like a stubby decoy?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Callum,
I would like to tell you it was some thing good, but it was a mustad fine wine size 6 hook, with a 1.2g split shot crimped on behind the eye, I then just trimed the the grub to fit.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
ha ha ha good call cheers for being honest you could have gone all secret squirrel on me lol.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
That was a great night and lots of lessons learnt like Dave has already said.
A number of things stood out for me:

2in baits catch more than 3in baits on the night. LOADS fo bites on the 3in but they were just nipping the tails and not taking the hook.
Smaller hooks than size 6 result in more hookups.
0.4 PE is FAR more sensitive than 4lb Fireline when fishing 1.5gm heads. Works fine on 3 or 4gm though.
Watching fish take SPs under lights gets the adrenaline going even if they are only about 4 or 5in long.
One of Dave's hands in massive!

No doubt we will be back. In the meantime I am sure a few packages will arrive to resolve some issues encountered on the night......

A big thanks to Mike for showing us around and pointing us in the right direction when things were a bit slow. And a big thanks to Dave for threading my line though my rod rings!!!!! It's an age thing.....

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
****, it is the Daiwa Saltist rod I bought in Nantes. I can't remember the code though, 73XRF? 7ft 3in rated to 7gms. By LRF standards it is quite powerful, hollow tipped, nicely balanced and cast small metals miles. I had a pound plus bream on it out from Littlehampton!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts