The Lure Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sometimes read of the wishes of some for a decent opportunity to compare bass plugging rods. I recently managed to find a way to do this that others may find useful....

I had an old bushwacker that snapped in half last fishing trip. Later that night my spare rod was trodden on and broken when I was unhooking a bass in the dark by the clumsy cane wielding angler I was fishing with. Given however I had snapped a cane rod custom built for him the other year when plugging for bass there was a suspicion it might not have been an accident! However, to get to the point of this post, the outcome was I was without decent rods and about to leave for Ireland for a weeks fishing (only 2 days to go!). I thought I had bought a rod to do the job I wanted, but the south coast shop took my online order and my money, failed to tell me they didn’t actually have that rod in stock until I called them a week later to find out where it was. So I was in a situation where I needed a new rod (or two) and fast yet couldnt make my mind up which was the one for me.

Living in Bristol, on the off chance, I telephoned Veal’s (mail-order). On the basis that if you don’t ask you don’t get, I asked them if it was possible to visit their warehouse to cast a few of the rods that interested me. I was surprised when they said yes. It took less than an hour before I was across town with my reel and a soft plastic of moderate weight, using the various rods to cast plastic between the buildings of an industrial estate. I narrowly avoided catching a homeward bound secretary who walked out of a door at the wrong moment, but she came up short. I did however walk away with 2 Teklon concepts: a 7 footer for fishing off my zodiac, and an 8-3 for the shore (plus I negotiated a fair old discount - in part because they guy who runs the operation knows I am a BASS member from past BASS AGMs).

So for those who do want an opportunity to compare before you buy it might be worth trying. Apparently (and surprisingly) no one has done this before there, but he did say ( somewhat less surprisingly I guess as he is the business of selling rods!) that he would not mind others doing the same as I did in the future as long as they called to check it’s OK before they visit.

Hope this is of use to someone out there

Matt

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Matt,did you by any chance get to try one of the Branzino rods they are now selling ?
You must be mistaking me for the loaded Matt Spence of Bristol Nick! No didnt waggle one for a number of reasons as I figured: i) i was better off not knowing what i would be missing (at 585 quid a rod), ii) Mr Yates might step on this one too, iii) I didnt feel they were providing a service where i could try 12 rods as they were to a degree doing something out of the ordinary for them so testing 4 was all I did.

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts