The Lure Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All this talk of wabbits and carrots, I thought I would share this small one with you.

It's definitely been eating his carrots!!

DSCF3300Sm.JPG

Took my SP which was intended for the bass I saw follow the Gateride last few chucks in the very very hot sunshine yesterday. Here's some more pics:

DSCF3295Sm.JPG

^ This small shoal of eels had broken away from the main pack and was balling tight in this deep hole occasionally panicking but I couldn't see why.

The main shoal was HUGE. From start to end of the shoal it took 10 minutes to pass me, absolutely millions of them all clones at about 2-3inches long, occasionally panicking and eruptions on the surface but only bait was breaching. The water was so clear I could see bottom in 30ft clear as a bell and could not see anything chasing them.

DSCF3293Sm.JPG

^ 3lb or so, didn't think it would improve on my Plastic piggy bank fish so it went back quick. Took under my feet literally 4ft away from my toes.

DSCF3290Sm.JPG

^ Found this on an exploratory mission with waders on, need to wade there to get to it on the best bit of the drop. Keith would wet his pants over this sort of run I am sure. Water was hammering through a deeper passage in front of those rocks, took a patchinko through the flow in about 20 seconds, and it wasn't even a big tide yesterday.

Didn't catch in it but I am not surprised, the water was very clear, very calm and it was VERY hot, 28c according to my thermometer. I would not have liked to be inside my waders with my legs!!! I actually turned them inside out and gave the inside a good wash when I got home, after I had a shower that is!! i was a mess but I needed them to get there. I'll bloney swim next time it's that hot.

Well no bass caught, had 4 pollack and the two rockies. I did however see several bass. One of them coming out of the water having just missed my baby patchinko by about 3mm, the other a big fish following a Zonk Gateride deep and behind it, it hit it next cast but didn't hook up :mad:. I threw everything at the area but it didn't want anything.

Conditions were not great but I got a good tan!!

Went this morning and i was greeting by a swell. lots of swell. Still no wind, hot and sunny and clear water but this time a swell. Surely a fish would come. nope...

DSCF3303sm.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is a case of mimicry as well, the area has huge fronds of thick light brown / orange kelp flowing over the barnacle rocks inbetween beds of bootlace... Mmmmmmm.....

·
Banned
1,900 Posts
Another great report Andy.

Would that area be fishable at night?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would that area be fishable at night?
Yes but I am still getting to know it. There are numerous cut off points and you have to boulder hop part of the way, the depth inbetween the boulders/rock formations is over head height in many places.

I want to know it a bit better before I go for full darkness. Evenings this time of year are not a problem, still light at 22:30 at the moment and sunrise about 4am. So long as you watch where you step.

I ended up on my back and upside down in full daylight after a steady looking boulder turned out to be carefully balanced and it went down the rocks as well as me. Luckily I am just sore rather than hurt. And luckily the rock went the other way to me and not on top of me. Never be complacent, even if you think you have stood on every rock in an area or someone else must have or surely the sea would have taken a dodgy rock down, well it didn't this time!!

·
Registered
340 Posts
liking the location pics Andy , we are lucky to live in places that look so good with so much choice all close together - sometimes to much for me!

Think the carrot coloured wrasse is defo a location thing tho , wouldnt get them round here ;-)

I'm still amazed that we can stand on one spot and catch wrasse of such diff colours/patterns/shape all from same area.

Doing well m8 ....... I want to catch a bigger wrasse almost as much as Bass!

Time for the wetsuit Mr Marquis.
Think you have a bit of a neoprene fetish keith - you are suggesting wetsuits a lot latley :)

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
A brilliant report again Andy, great colours on the Wrasse, super stuff :-D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts