The Lure Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The past 3 nights i've been out fishing after dark. I have a semi decent headtorch that is perfect for stumbling up the rocks at home time, but while I'm fishing and occasionally need it if I'm struggling to change a lure or something, it's waaaaaay too bright! All I need is a tiny glow of light to see what I'm doing. Something like a dim phone light would be ideal, but since I don't want to use my phone, can anybody recommend a really low powered headtorch or another waterproof device that will just provide a tiny glow of light, rather than a full beam?

·
Registered
11,810 Posts
Have a look at the LED lenser range. I have the H7. It has a dimming function, & when fishing, i only ever use it on it's dimmest setting. The brighter setting only gets used climbing in & out of marks (for which it comes in very handy).

http://www.ledco.co.uk/content/productCategory.aspx?catId=5

They are quite reasonably priced (expect to pay between £25 - £40 for most headtorches in the range), and are readily available in a range of different shops (not just fishing tackle shops).

I think that they are the dogs danglers!!

However, if you really did want something pretty fool-proof, dim, and fits in your pocket, i'd just go for these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chemical-Li...sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=sports&qid=1272524738&sr=8-1 they are available in lots of different places, and can be picked up in bulk very cheap. I use them quite a bit when bait fishing beaches at night. I usually hang one around Luke's neck so that i can spot him easily in the dark on the beach, and i hang one on my tackle box so that i can find that easily also. If you google "snap lights" you'll find options to bulk-purchase.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers Guys. Glow sticks are a brilliant idea actually!

Also thanks Liam! I actually have the Petzl light one under that one I think. I only worked out this morning following your post that I CAN actually dim the light I already have. I didn't ever realise! Duh! Not a lot though, but definitely better. With that, i reckon a glow stick may now be the solution.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Ben, I have some LED cycles lights that are about the size of a 10p piece and are mounted on a short elastic strap. They are completely waterproof, having been through the washing machine a couple of times!!!! They have two flashing modes which is obviously no good and one constant mode which sounds about right for waht you want. They cost about £9 and I think they are made by Cateye. I will look around and come back to you with more details. In fact I don't know why I never thought to use them myself!!!!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds perfect mate!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Mike. Like the look of the red one. Even that may be too bright for what I'm after but it'll be super useable - very convenient. Guessing the strap would probably fit around your wrist and tuck in to your sleeve for easy of access?! May give one a shot.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ive painted one part of my head torch with Red nail varnish and works prefect when close to the water and when i am not or heading home, i just flip the lid and ive got normal so i dont break my neck.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Led Lenser on lowest setting, with a quality street wrapper elastic banded round the actual light bit. Blue Peter all the way! I can do the knots I need without light now though, so only need it for landing and unhooking fish.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Thanks for that link Alun. I sent for one of those, really fast service, excellent value. And you can put it on one little LED (white, red or green).

they've got some other good stuff

waterproof jeans...they are are more splash/shower proof in reality
waterproof bags

worth a look, very good quality at a good price

·
Registered
268 Posts
Hi I got the Chub one on the advice of my local tackle shop. It was only £20 (and yes he does sell all the posh ones). It has a very bright beam but also 2 low beams. and the one I find best for general use. Changing lures ect. A red wide angle beam found iy just the job. got 2 of them so always have a spare to hand.(not needed it yet tho)

G

·
Hi Ben,

This is one area I can help mate as used this head torch for about two years many nights carp fishing, very light comfortable and great on battery life. The three light setting is great but is the little red filter that can be flipped over the beam makes it very good, the dim red light is just enough to see what your rigs/lure. Also red is the first colour to disappear from the spectrum under water so it makes the light so slight it is difficult to detect very elusive ......;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EZX6618-Petzl...ernsTorches&hash=item5637a0b681#ht_2239wt_913

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
guys ive just seen one of the most powerful led headtorches ive ever come across,one click and youve got 220 lumens,turn lense and youve a tiny light for detail.check out the price...unreal.cheers daz WWW.LEDSHOPPE.COM R2 cree adjustable focus headtorch

1 - 20 of 24 Posts