Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon all ....
the T4 is half way to Padstow on its journey from Manchester .... tomorrow I land :D
I was planning to walk into Padstow and fish the harbour around 6am every day, but it looks like that's low tide and I'm not sure that will be possible now !
I've been granted a day in the week to go 'wherever' to fish ... but I'll also make sure the van isn't parked too get away from wherever we visit so that if the opportunity presents itself I'll throw a fish fry or an isome worm in ! Lol ....
so I'm open to any suggestions on places to head ... looking for harbours they are teeming .... some seriously big rock pools .. and some 'easy' rock marks to try and land my first wrasse !!
All suggestions welcome !
Cheers
SG

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply .. just trying to work how how long the walk would be from Padstow touring park ... :D

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Ah...... about 6 miles round the coast to Trevone.
If you walk the coast path down the estuary you can get down on to rock marks at Stepper point about 2 miles. there is a national coastwatch station on the path just as you get to the end and turn SW. The wardens are really helpful, and will be able to point out the way down.
There is a bus to Newquay. buy a ticket to windmill, and walk just 1 mile to Trevone, then turn West on coastpath. The big rock pools I know are closer to harlyn, but The trevone end looks great. For trevone end access from the beach. Harlyn end go down over the low cliff from the path. loads of access.
Or if you are on the bus go as far as Porthcothan, where it stops on the back of the beach. SW of there on path is a fantastic bit of coast. 15 mins to a sheltered rock filled channel between headland and an Island at either high or low. Full of fish..... On big tides you can get over to the islands for an hour or so around low. If you plan to go over, get there well before low so you know how long is safe to stay on rising tide. You'd be safe cut off, but be stuck for a long time! Walk ten mins further and the next beach has a big low tide reef on its SW side. Good luck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you walk the coast path down the estuary you can get down on to rock marks at Stepper point about 2 miles. there is a national coastwatch station on the path just as you get to the end and turn SW. The wardens are really helpful, and will be able to point out the way down.
There is a bus to Newquay. buy a ticket to windmill, and walk just 1 mile to Trevone, then turn West on coastpath. The big rock pools I know are closer to harlyn, but The trevone end looks great. For trevone end access from the beach. Harlyn end go down over the low cliff from the path. loads of access.
Or if you are on the bus go as far as Porthcothan, where it stops on the back of the beach. SW of there on path is a fantastic bit of coast. 15 mins to a sheltered rock filled channel between headland and an Island at either high or low. Full of fish..... On big tides you can get over to the islands for an hour or so around low. If you plan to go over, get there well before low so you know how long is safe to stay on rising tide. You'd be safe cut off, but be stuck for a long time! Walk ten mins further and the next beach has a big low tide reef on its SW side. Good luck.
Stranded myself the other side of that gully many a time over the years Michael!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
This post would be better by pm (rule 9 of posting rules)

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Hi Chris

Welcome to TLF and to 'spinning' which is what an old fart like me calls the use of any artificial bait.

Nowadays the simple art of spinning is broken down into various categories based on the type of bait used (hard or soft), the type of gear used (Light or hard rock), where in the water column you intend your lure to fish (surface, sub-surface) and even how prepared you are to get wet (wet wading / dry wading) - it's nice to see an old school, generic word like 'spinning' used so I'll give you a few tips on Kimmeridge as a thank you.

This time of year and with a heatwave upon us the main bay will be heaving with Grockles (holiday makers and day-trippers) so fishing in the day will be next to impossible between say 10:00am and 6:00pm - your choice of Sunday evening will be the best time IMO

Tip #1. If you get there after 6:00pm you're less likely to be charged at the toll road.;)

We have some big spring tides over the weekend, peaking on Sunday and the top of the tide should be around 8:00pm so you'll be fishing a rising tide if you get there early evening and then the first of the ebb if you stay 'till dusk.
The sea could be up against the cliffs to the right of the footpath down to the beach so mind you don't get caught out. If you venture further around to the right a few hundred metres, where the yellow stone flat ledges start, you should be ok there and there are a couple of deeper gullies to fish into.

Tip #2. The ground around Kimmeridge is shallow, rocky ledges, gullies and weed-covered boulders so when spinning on a rising tide use a lure which floats but dives to around 18 inches / 0.5 metres or we have used surface lures and rarely get snagged and loose lures.
There may be a lot of loose weed in the water from the mounds of kelp and wrack that get washed up and if there is a lot of 'crap' in the water then a soft lure rigged weedless, like a slug-go, Senko or a bamboo stick, is your best option.

Tip #3. Mike has assumed that you are fishing for bass and it's true that no-one will give you a map with a big X on it to show where the bass can be caught, not that you have asked for that, but there are bass to be caught almost anywhere inside the bay and to the shoreline on either side, but good-sized wrasse can also be caught in surprisingly shallow water on a rising tide.
When I say shallow, I mean less than a foot deep and often they will follow a lure (hard or soft) right to the beach / rock that you're casting from and grab the lure at the last turn of the reel handle so 'fish the cast out' and wind the lure all the way back in.

Tip #4. Spring tides at Kimmeridge usually mean one thing - Mullet. You may see hordes of mullet skimming the surface for maggots which get washed out of the mounds of rotting weed.
These are catchable and one or two get caught on lures, fair and square (or foul-hooked up the arse), but fly fishing is a better option and even then the are infuriating fcukers, but you may find some smaller bass in among the mullet which will take a lure so worth casting around any shoals of mullet that you may see.

Hope this helps

Steve

Founder Member of the Bristol Beaufort Bandits (who's round is it?)

On the contrary Adrian. The above post by a hugely respected senior member suggests a tradition of publicly helping people out.
Or did you miss this rule breaking post from 2016? That would explain you not publicly telling Steve off.....
Unless this is more about who posts, rather than what they say?...........................I have no issue with Steve posting like this BTW.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
This post would be better by pm (rule 9 of posting rules)
Just a suggestion, and because one person breaks/bends the rules doesn't mean everyone should.

And the spirit of helpfulness is equally shared by pm as on a thread, especially when the privacy of this forum is already being questioned.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Hi Chris

Welcome to TLF and to 'spinning' which is what an old fart like me calls the use of any artificial bait.

Nowadays the simple art of spinning is broken down into various categories based on the type of bait used (hard or soft), the type of gear used (Light or hard rock), where in the water column you intend your lure to fish (surface, sub-surface) and even how prepared you are to get wet (wet wading / dry wading) - it's nice to see an old school, generic word like 'spinning' used so I'll give you a few tips on Kimmeridge as a thank you.

This time of year and with a heatwave upon us the main bay will be heaving with Grockles (holiday makers and day-trippers) so fishing in the day will be next to impossible between say 10:00am and 6:00pm - your choice of Sunday evening will be the best time IMO

Tip #1. If you get there after 6:00pm you're less likely to be charged at the toll road.;)

We have some big spring tides over the weekend, peaking on Sunday and the top of the tide should be around 8:00pm so you'll be fishing a rising tide if you get there early evening and then the first of the ebb if you stay 'till dusk.
The sea could be up against the cliffs to the right of the footpath down to the beach so mind you don't get caught out. If you venture further around to the right a few hundred metres, where the yellow stone flat ledges start, you should be ok there and there are a couple of deeper gullies to fish into.

Tip #2. The ground around Kimmeridge is shallow, rocky ledges, gullies and weed-covered boulders so when spinning on a rising tide use a lure which floats but dives to around 18 inches / 0.5 metres or we have used surface lures and rarely get snagged and loose lures.
There may be a lot of loose weed in the water from the mounds of kelp and wrack that get washed up and if there is a lot of 'crap' in the water then a soft lure rigged weedless, like a slug-go, Senko or a bamboo stick, is your best option.

Tip #3. Mike has assumed that you are fishing for bass and it's true that no-one will give you a map with a big X on it to show where the bass can be caught, not that you have asked for that, but there are bass to be caught almost anywhere inside the bay and to the shoreline on either side, but good-sized wrasse can also be caught in surprisingly shallow water on a rising tide.
When I say shallow, I mean less than a foot deep and often they will follow a lure (hard or soft) right to the beach / rock that you're casting from and grab the lure at the last turn of the reel handle so 'fish the cast out' and wind the lure all the way back in.

Tip #4. Spring tides at Kimmeridge usually mean one thing - Mullet. You may see hordes of mullet skimming the surface for maggots which get washed out of the mounds of rotting weed.
These are catchable and one or two get caught on lures, fair and square (or foul-hooked up the arse), but fly fishing is a better option and even then the are infuriating fcukers, but you may find some smaller bass in among the mullet which will take a lure so worth casting around any shoals of mullet that you may see.

Hope this helps

Steve

Founder Member of the Bristol Beaufort Bandits (who's round is it?)

On the contrary Adrian. The above post by a hugely respected senior member suggests a tradition of publicly helping people out.
Or did you miss this rule breaking post from 2016? That would explain you not publicly telling Steve off.....
Unless this is more about who posts, rather than what they say?...........................I have no issue with Steve posting like this BTW.
I remember this thread very well and it was designed to help specifically with "Kimmeridge" and not a general area of coast.
Not sure if you've ever been there but it was related to "how to fish" not where. Steve took pity on a poor chap as the rest of us pretty well ignored the thread not the poster.
It's a very difficult issue and the rules were put in place for a reason.
I've pretty much walked and fished the entire coastline of the mainland and some areas have been destroyed by loathsome individuals who merely pillage others hard earned marks by exposure via a friend of a friend casually divulging information.
It is a topic which upon joining fell foul of myself and it was only after considering others that I learned to appreciate the argument against publicly sharing certain information.
The direction this forum may head will it seems lead all of this information to become "public" and therefore I would as Adrian has asked to only exchange via PM's.
Thank you.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
Think we've clarified that stuff posted on a forum advertised as private cannot later be made public.
Hence the reversal of that ill considered policy by the owner, which must surely be the end of the matter.
Information on the North Cornwall coast from Padstow to Newquay has been largely in the public domain ever since the late eighties, when the work of "Ed the Bass" on video and in Sea Angler blew the whole area wide open. Half the photos had Trevose head in the background....I don't think I've divulged any secret productive marks here. Like I asked earlier, is this about the post or the poster David?

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
No, worthy in the context of some of the posts that have been directed at me recently, made up of foul abuse, and insults. Some on here have/do still judge the post by its poster, not its content. I'll PM you some examples if you want.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I'm well aware of the bile and vitriol that has been directed at you from members, former members and banned members.
I'm also aware of the damage you and Steve have caused, either by ignorance or stupidity!
The rules on posting are clear, stick to them!

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
I'm also aware of the damage you and Steve have caused, either by ignorance or stupidity!
I have done no damage, and there is no me and Steve.
I was the first to post a thread complaining about the ad pop up nonsense.
I lobbied publicly and privately for the return to a private forum.
The connecting of me and Steve was a nonsense lie spread by........well you guess who.
If I had done what you think, I wouldn't have been copied in on that very select email circulated, giving links to join the new forum run by your mate. Top bloke, and I've wished him luck, but didn't join to avoid the bollocks accusations like this. some chance!
The highly respected writer of that email can tell the difference between shit and a hole in the ground.
Apparently not everyone can.
I also got no one banned. They didn't need anyone's help on that front...........but don't let the truth get in the way of some saddos determined shit stirring.
As for rules. Full real names and locations? I'm not in hiding..............
I'm fishing and posting in good faith, as is the case with this access info.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Im nothing to do with the politics here but I do fish the Cornish coastline.
NOBODY should be mark burning on this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,893 Posts
And I wouldn't Lee. If you know that coastline, you'll know that all I did was give a bloke without transport some access info for bits of rocky coast that will suit his LRF/Wrasse aims. No highly secret bass marks.
All long term/well known in the national media, and no more than he could have got from Google Earth. I just connected that to the bus stops! That info is going to help someone out, and not ruin anyones fishing. The whole coast there is rammed with holiday anglers anyway.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.