The Lure Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am just back from hols in the Gironde. Gave my new Cormoran Maro Power its first real outing and me for that matter. Big beaches and rollers 30m-50m off the beach. Large gullies to cast into if you can hit them. There was a head wind and the heaviest lure I had was my Tackle House feed shallow at a spindly 18g. I got my casting arm up to snuff but little else. I needed the reach which was not forthcoming.

A french angler wombled by and said hello. He showed me the lure he used most of all and mentioned that it was 40g. Didn't look to bad either. His parting shot was "C'est un catastrophe"....he hadn't had a fish in two months. I said "bugger" or something to that effect.

So I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a good lure/lures to get some distance but not look like a hunk of shiny metal (unless that is a good thing, in which case I am all ears).

Thanks, as ever, for any help,

Andy B

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Jackson Pin Tail Tune.

Great super long casting lures that weigh in heavy for physical size.
I think a 90mm is 27g...

Something like that anyway. Cast like rockets and actually have a pretty good 'fast' action and tumble.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Vibration lures and sinking pencil baits (like a Hart Reef Pencil) cast very around 28g and compact, work well into a head wind.
Also surface lures like the Patchinko (26g) and Super Spook (27g) both cast well regardless of the wind.
Metal lures like a Dexter wedge (various weights) also beat the wind very well-And yeap metal lures do catch bass.
The above would be first out of box if I am forced into fighting a strong headwind and need some distance.Also worth mentioning that sometime it won't be the heaviest lure in your box that goes the furthest- It will be the ones thst are in the sweetspot for your rod.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Like Keith says, Jackson Pintail Tune will be worth looking at. They do need working pretty quickly. The IMA Gyodo Heavy Surfer is a similar lure (90mm, 30g), but I think actually has a better action thanks to its slightly wider lip. With each of those, their small size and points shapes mean they'll cast miles.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks fellas,

Looks like the flexible fiend is going to take another bashing:-D.

What colours work well in British waters? Or doesn't it mattere too much?

TTFN

Andy

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Doc. Are those lures used to stun the bass?
They are almost as big as the bass I have caught on lug worm up here in norfolk:-D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts