The Lure Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I took the UL gear out last night for a short session at a local mark with lots of flow. It was a bit windier than I expected! Gusting force 6-7 sideshore blowing right to left with the tide running left to right made for some interesting lure control and bite detection issues.

I rigged up an xlayer on a 3g jig head but no takes on the 1st dozen or so casts so I swapped the xlayer for my favourite bass slider grub. 1st cast - fish on! Only a schoolie of about 1lb but it gave me the confidence to carry on.

A few casts later, a better fish of about 2lb.

Then a nice fat pollack.

One more tiddler bass, then I changed to a small jointed countdown to finish the session with another pollack.

Windy but worth it.

Pics to follow

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
Great stuff Adrian, looking forward to the pics :p

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Adrian,
Nice fishing, especially given the difficulties of working a small sp in wind against tide conditions.

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
That is quality Adrian! You really nailed them there. Interesting that the xlayers failed.

I took the UL gear out last night
What tackle are you using? I can't make out what you've got there. Is that a Dam reel with the dirty rear drag on? ;-)

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That is quality Adrian! You really nailed them there. Interesting that the xlayers failed.

What tackle are you using? I can't make out what you've got there. Is that a Dam reel with the dirty rear drag on? ;-)
See next catch report about the xlayers.

Yes, the reel's a DAM Quick Super 520 RD. Cheap as chips and tough as old boots. I've bought up lots of DAM reels from that auction site over the years. The older models are really good value. I've bought them on the premise that I can use and abuse them and throw them away when they break, but they never break!

The rod is a Berkely Skeletor 7ft 2-12g. Good rod with a through action and a sensitive tip. It's my pike rod really but occaisionally I take it out to sea when the conditions are a bit on the rough side

·
TLF Admin
7,123 Posts
Yes, the reel's a DAM Quick Super 520 RD. Cheap as chips and tough as old boots. I've bought up lots of DAM reels from that auction site over the years. The older models are really good value. I've bought them on the premise that I can use and abuse them and throw them away when they break, but they never break!
Assume that's braid? How's the line-lay?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Assume that's braid? How's the line-lay?
Yes, I've always used braid. You can load them up right to the brim without worrying about wind knots and can cast far despite the small diameter spool. I've just changed over to superbraids and haven't noticed any problems so far (except the considerable extra casting distance and much less bow in the wind and water)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts