The Lure Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'am looking for a new reel to go with my teklon 802 rod,
I've seen this reel on veals web site, but know very little about it.
I sounds like a great reel, but not sure or should i stick with shimano and go for something like the rareniun, Just th extra cost puts me off a little.
If any one has used or know's any thing about either of them please let me know.
Just to many reels to choose from.
cheers john

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi John

I used this reel all last year, and had no problems with it whatsoever. It took a few dunkings when on the kayak too and still performed ok. The only negative that I could find is that is comes with a deep and shallow spool. It doesn't hold a hugh amount of braid on the deep spool when I was forced to change over to the shallow spool I was found wanting a little.

So this year I treated myself to a Technium with a little more capacity when fishing from the shore... and its a great reel for the money.

I will still use the Soron when on the kayak as normally less line is required there, as normally positioned closer to the structure, plus I dont want to dunk the technium

hope this helps a little, Im sure that other peeps on here will give you input and other options

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They're great reels I reckon. I started out with a Cardinal 804 which was pretty much it's earlier form, then bought a Soron actually in preperation for the day the 804 died. Both reels are still going strong though. If they've started to make a noise I've just given them a dab of oil and they're back to new. Both have taken some serious dunkings and caught a lot of bass, no complaints. Love the fact that the drag is sealed and all bearings corrosion resistant. More people should buy them. They're a real you can actually bash around.

I have 2 deep spools on mine though and carrying the standardish 200m of 10lb line, are you sure you have the 40stx Paul?

·
Registered
88 Posts
[I have 2 deep spools on mine though and carrying the standardish 200m of 10lb line, are you sure you have the 40stx Paul?[/QUOTE]

Yep just checked in case I was mistaken. STX 40 One deep, one shallow. I think that if It had had two deep spools like your Ben I would of carried on using it regularly. Perhaps they changed the spools after you got yours, I definatley got mine after you as it was you that recommended it, maybe I got a wildcard.
I would check it out John to see what they are selling exactly spoolwise.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Yeah that is weird. My 804 just had 2 deep spools as well. Never seen a description anywhere to suggest they even made shallow ones. Useful of you're coarse fishing though which may be why they were made?!

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i have the soron 40 and the technium 4000 and i must admit the soron handles a dunkin better than the technium.ive put the powershot on the soron for its low diameter just to get the yards on the deep spool.the soron is lovely but wouldnt use it with a rod over 8ft.cheers daz

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul, Ben and Darren for your comments.
Its sounds like the soron may be a good bet for the price. I like the idea of it being able to handle a dunking and a bit of abuse, because my 8 year old daughter is taking a intrest and wants to fish, so I can blame her for needing a new reel.;-)
cheers for the replies

1 - 10 of 10 Posts