The Lure Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi lads,

I'm new here so go easy! Looking to get my first proper lure rod on Monday. I've spent the last year fishing an Ugly Stick so I'm looking for something much lighter this time round (the reason I got the Ugly Stick was due to my habit of breaking rods!). I fish on the Copper Coast in Waterford, Ireland. I'm looking for something around 8ft in the 10-50g class that I can use to work soft plastics and light hard plastics. My budget is around 150 yoyo's. I was considering a Sakura Rookie or a Quantum Energy Bass. Any ideas or advice would be seriously appreciated! Cheers lads

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Welcome aboard Ross.

Yeah, do consider the Grauvell Teklon if you want to fish a lot of soft baits and smaller hard baits. If you're mostly fishing hard baits then the Rookie or Quantum will be a safe bet, but the Teklon is probably a more versatile allrounder.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hello Ross cian O Halloran has opened a dedicated Bass Tackle Shop in Tramore, he will put you right, cant beat handling a rod before you purchase it.
Just purchased a Teklon 702 for the soft plastics, great rod:-D
Bob

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hi Ross,

I bought the Quantum about a year ago as there wasn't much choice at the time. It's a nice rod and is great for surface poppers and heavier lures, but I feel that it can struggle with the lighter lures. I would describe the rod's casting range as 20-60g. As most of the posh hard lures are 10-30g, I would go for something lighter. That's why I picked up a 7', 10-30g Bushwhacker, which is excellent for the money. I would imagine that the Bushwhacker handles the SPs better than the Quantum, but I haven't really done much of that yet. I don't know much about the rookie, but the Teklon is highly rated and would probably be my choice if I were buying today. 8 foot long and casting 10-30g would be about ideal for me at the moment. Try to match the rod to the lures that you want to use and don't expect one rod to do it all, unless, maybe, you have £400 to spend on a Tenryu Supermix.

I hope that this has been of some help - good luck.

Tony.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts