The Lure Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,
Need alittle help.
I have found a mark, where you are fishing about 8' of water, down a wall. The bottom of the wall is undercut, and the bass seem to like hanging out in this undercut. Now the bass that I saw were about 3lb, the water is clear, with only a little flow running along the wall.
Apart from trying to run a hardbait along the wall, I can't think of a good fish this area. But I am betting that HRF could be the answer.
Anyone fished in a similar place (bottom of a harbour wall maybe??) with success??
Cheers Dave

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Not HRF Dave, but have you though of tuning a hard lure to swim inwards slightly, in to the undercut? Probably have, but it'd be a way to get yourself even further in there than you could with a soft bait - unless the swell rolls it in there for you?

Haven't fished for bass anywhere similar unfortunately.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I would have thought slowly worked SP, along the edge of the undercut would have been the way. But happy to difer to both of your vastly great experience.
Now any ideas for a lure that will run about 8' when slowly worked. Would prefer something small(ish) as the location is stuff with small baitfish up to about 4".
Would something like the Megabass Live-X Revenge, be a good place to start??

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Lucky Craft Staysee? Or for a smaller size size Nories Kuwase Shad (goes to about 2m), or slightly larger (and perhaps a touch deep), Nories Kuwase D104. Specific weighting in the Nories means they work from slower speeds. untested by many, but genuinely good recommendations.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ben,
Are they on your website??
Will have a look, I sure I remember seeing a video clip on Nories website that did look good.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
They are. In amongst the mess that is the lure section. Kuwase Shad pretty much made for this type of thing.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Hi Dave

I have fished a similar mark by letting a one up Shad swim down the wall OTD on a 10g lead head. Would that do the trick?

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Paul,
Will give it a try, when you see a shoal of decent (3lb+)bass in a place that you never have seen them before. Anything that might work is worth a try.
Definate worth giving the One Up Shad a try-especially as it seems to be a very useful SP to carry.
Many thanks

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Cheers Paul,
Will give it a try, when you see a shoal of decent (3lb+)bass in a place that you never have seen them before. Anything that might work is worth a try.
Definate worth giving the One Up Shad a try-especially as it seems to be a very useful SP to carry.
Many thanks
At the local mark I have in mind, you just cast right against the wall and let the lure swim down under it's own weight Dave. Bites are OTD.

·
Registered
437 Posts
A fair few different lures were put down that wall today after you found those bass. Only a 6 inch shad getting interest. But I reckon early morning with a patchinko or shallow diver brought along parallel and about a ft out. Those bass will sit with their heads out of the overhang and wait for the shadow of one of the many baitfish.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keith,
Going to show my ignorance (AGAIN), but what do you mean by resting??

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Something learned from diving...

In our case, Bass will feed on rising or ebb tides, or, on the tides turn (not always when you expect).

However, our granite structure means fish will drop away onto weedbeds and/or deeper water after feeding sometimes to skip whole tides.

In the Med and in the UK (depending upon rock type) fish might not drop back. Instead, they hole up.
So, if fish have retiring behaviour, they retire as a natural pattern.

If fish have a holing up behaviour, whole, large area's can seem empty of Bass and Mullet yet, they are there, underground.

You'd be amazed at how big fish seem to get into the smallest gaps in reefs etc.

The point I'm making is, that if these fish are holing in nature, a ledge, under a wall is a very similar place to display such behaviour.

It's a very complicated thing and I don't claim to understand it well but, it does happen.

Hope I explained that well enough.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Keith,
I understand what you mean. Basically the bass aren't in active/feeding mode. So they search out and hold in areas/places they feel secure.
Could well be the case, as the only reaction we got from them was when one had a look at the shad Ben tried. And that wasn't an aggressive/predatory responce.
Thinking about it, basically very similar to the images that you see on the Japanese DVD's of fish holding in/under structure during the day.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Remember the 'peanut' comment you made to me yesterday? It made a lot of sense. Why not try the same approach with some LRF kit. No reason why you couldn't get them out on it. Might be worth a try?

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mike,
Will fill you in on exactly where they were.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts