The Lure Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I looking to buy used kayak and haven't got much clue about it. Can enyone give me an advice on what to watch out for, what are the main faults of used kayaks. I'm going to have a look at Manta Ray12 in few days. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Here's a link for you that covers most of the bases for a second hand Yak and what to look for in general. The Manta is a nice yak and has had some good reviews. If you don't mind me asking what price is the seller asking for their second hand Yak?

http://www.articlesbase.com/extreme-sports-articles/second-hand-kayak-a-buyers-guide-579666.html

Over here they tend to try and sell them for ridiculous prices and they tend to be near enough the price of a new one sometimes! Folks haven't realised that the prices are dropping due to it becoming more popular. Had a fella try to sell me a 8 year old one for £350! Thing cost £400 brand new!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,thank you for reply. That guy is asking for 600euro for second hand. The new ones start at around 800euro. 400gbp for new one? That is great price

·
Registered
277 Posts
The brand new ones look like they could be a bit more than £400 from what I've seen, so €600 isn't too bad to start off, about £520 ish (rates are always changing, thank you Greece!). As I said they sell prowlers that are 5 years old for £350 here and the Manta range usually sell for more than the prowlers so that would work out right in my mind. The important thing is that it is worth the €600 and that the condition matches the price. They look sturdy and pretty robust most Yaks are they do take a beating no matter how careful you are its just one of those things, the guide on the link mentions the torch idea, I've heard a few people use that method. Despite the kayak being in one solid piece if the plastic wears thin on the bottom (usually the first place to go) you won't see it without a torch, and if you shine the torch through its almost impossible to not see any damage as the difference is pretty obvious.

Anyways by the sounds of it you've got yourself a good deal, hope it all goes well and you'll be joining the ever expanding yakkers out there!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts